PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I did Jack Monroe's Creamy Salmon Pasta With A Chilli Lemon Kick today. I love this recipe, it stretches whichever way. Extra pasta, yogurt and another jar of salmon paste to feed several, or just a wee bit of pasta, a small tub of yogurt and a resulting extra salmony sauce for a lighter lunch.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Breakfast this morning was a choc ice... I've now got washing to do as I appear to have dropped a bit of choccy on my cushion cover and smeared it :)

Looks like an old lady's house here as I've removed it and folded it with the brown smear uppermost (so I don't keep forgetting) ... until some time in the next 1-2 hours when I think "I'll wash that now" and go off to get the bucket out. Looks like a continence accident, waiting for my carer :)

I've fitted a clean slip on the cushion .... definitely clean as this is the one I washed just 4 days ago under identical circumstances.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2017 at 7:19AM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Putting more in the freezer than what I took out is my life - definitely a CFO problem.:(;)

.....and, on that note, does anyone know if it's even possible to put aioli in the freezer? Having seen some luxury brand stuff there in a nice little pottery container, that I'll be able to re-use, I thought I'd try it - and have had some with one meal and think I'll do so again today.

....and, it's obviously "family size" and I'll still have 2 portions left and I don't want to eat it every day for 4 days on the one hand or waste it on the other hand...
  • PasturesNew
    edited 17 May 2017 at 7:32AM
    Options
    ....aioli ...

I'm going to have to Google that to even know what on earth it is :)

Hmm... oil ... doesn't look very interesting! Or mayo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aioli

I've rarely even ventured into the world of eating mayo.... I just slap salad cream on things ... and avoid any recipe that says to use mayo (or find a workaround).

Many people are "snobs" about salad cream, but, to me, it doesn't sound a great deal different to what they eat. And I know I like it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad_cream

65p at supermarkets for a big squeezy bottle ... lasts months :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I couldn`t bear to be without cake in the freezer, so I made two date and walnut loaves last night, sliced and put them in the freezer and it was nice, don`t ask how I know. It all started from using two eggs as new are coming this morning. Once frozen, then I can forget about cake

I decided to get the salad spinner washed and ready for my new lettuce, its out and ready, so I`ll spin the lettuce and that will make salads easier. Its a metal one and keeps lettuce nice for several days

Up at 6, small breakfast of spelt flakes, blackcurrants and soya milk. Hungry now, so quickly got some quinoa simmering with steamer on top, pulled out some ready prepared veg from the vac jars and healthy breakfast will be ready soon. Otherwise I would be diving into toast

I have a few strips of belly pork left in the freezer, really fancy one at lunchtime, just with a quick veg stir fry and then teatime can be what it will
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I've removed the frozen loaf from the freezer as I've two black bananas here .... and I can't throw them out. Making a bread pud with them ... but the cheap version. Not butter, no milk.

Sometimes in an effort to "save money" it's easy to then spend a fortune using up something of little value. My 2 bananas are worth about 20p.... and if I were to make, say, a standard bread/butter pudding in a full sized oven, or a bread pud with milk, that could cost nearly £1.20-£1.50 just to use up 20p of nar-ners.

So I'm using my basic recipe ... and should have it made and baked into a nice pudding ... for an additional 30p ... have to see what I toss in and how it turns out. Got to "make up" the quantities by eye, but I might as well. And, as the oven will be on, I might make a dinner of veggies, stuffing, yorkshires, mash, gravy. No meat as I've not got any (except one slice of frozen sausagemeat)... although, thinking of that, I COULD make a sausagemeat pie (but I won't).
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did Jack Monroe's Creamy Salmon Pasta With A Chilli Lemon Kick today. I love this recipe, it stretches whichever way. Extra pasta, yogurt and another jar of salmon paste to feed several, or just a wee bit of pasta, a small tub of yogurt and a resulting extra salmony sauce for a lighter lunch.
    Not the Jack Munroe recipe which is good but I'm making smoked salmon and asparagus pasta tonight. Not very MSE but it using things I have and the asparagus was on SO:D
    .....and, on that note, does anyone know if it's even possible to put aioli in the freezer? Having seen some luxury brand stuff there in a nice little pottery container, that I'll be able to re-use, I thought I'd try it - and have had some with one meal and think I'll do so again today.

....and, it's obviously "family size" and I'll still have 2 portions left and I don't want to eat it every day for 4 days on the one hand or waste it on the other hand...

I don't think it would freeze well but should keep for at least week covered in the fridge. Personally it's not something I'd struggle to use up.....:D
    I've removed the frozen loaf from the freezer as I've two black bananas here .... and I can't throw them out. Making a bread pud with them ... but the cheap version. Not butter, no milk.

Sometimes in an effort to "save money" it's easy to then spend a fortune using up something of little value. My 2 bananas are worth about 20p.... and if I were to make, say, a standard bread/butter pudding in a full sized oven, or a bread pud with milk, that could cost nearly £1.20-£1.50 just to use up 20p of nar-ners.

So I'm using my basic recipe ... and should have it made and baked into a nice pudding ... for an additional 30p ... have to see what I toss in and how it turns out. Got to "make up" the quantities by eye, but I might as well. And, as the oven will be on, I might make a dinner of veggies, stuffing, yorkshires, mash, gravy. No meat as I've not got any (except one slice of frozen sausagemeat)... although, thinking of that, I COULD make a sausagemeat pie (but I won't).

Oh I do love bread pudding such a good way to use bits up - used to make it loads when the boys were growing up

Kittie - two breakfasts:eek: are you a Hobbit lol? :D:D

Just had toast and banana for breakfast, I'm not sure about lunch but I have some sweet potato left from last night, I ended up scooping out the flesh and just eating the crispy skin so might have that mixed with egg, chilli and tomato as a sort of frittata.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I've not got round to doing the bread pud .... full of procrastination.... instead I've sat and thought about 20 variations I could cook .... without actually even getting it started. The first bit's not even hard: break up the bits of bread.... CBA to do that yet :)

Ate a fat crust from the defrosted loaf, toasted and topped with chocolate spread :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I made, cooked .... then ate that pud.

So, instead of throwing out two black nar-ners.... I've eaten FOUR portions of pudding, containing 50-60 grams of sugar and 2-3 days of bread rations.

It's not so smart is it..... the whole concept of "use it up" is flawed :)

And I've still another 2 portions, uncooked, in the fridge :(
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Pouring with rain since around 10 this morning, so out went the gardening planned for this afternoon, but the garden did need the rain TBH so must not moan

Nil breakfast, got up later than normal for no real reason except never woke up earlier, possibly due to dull and dank sky

Pottered around Asda, slim YS pickings today, just punnet of strawberries, 45p, which I just know will be not as nice as they look & smell, but will go well with some honey drizzled on them, and could be the only fresh fruit / veg I will have today, so 1/10 there

Lunch was going to be a healthy cheese & salad sarnie, but the wet weather just called out for a bacon & brown sauce buttie, so that is what it was. Now I have opened the bacon packet I now have 4 more rashers to use up, the curse of CFO. No prizes for guessing what the next two day's lunches will be

Dinner will be a repeat of yesterday, cod fish cake, chips & beans. I added a splash of Lea & Perrin's in the beans, perked them up no end, one of the blessings about CFO, in space no one can hear you f@rt :D

Not had baked beans for a while, really enjoyed them yesterday, perhaps next lot of stale crusts will be beans on toast time

Actually the Lidl fish cakes are quite nice, I got them on offer at 90p but think even at normal price of over a quid they would be worthwhile, especially as oven cooked they can go on same tray as oven chips in same oven
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure