PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you tried growing sorrel (as in the standard variety)? Think it's called French sorrel? Its the large leaf variety anyway. I'm quite partial to that and one of my CBA meals is a cheese and sorrel omelette made with that.
    Yes I tried a few years ago and it just got munched I think every critter had a go - the few plants that escaped ended up covered in a caterpillars, I lost the will to try again after that...........:(
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Have you tried growing sorrel (as in the standard variety)? Think it's called French sorrel? Its the large leaf variety anyway. I'm quite partial to that and one of my CBA meals is a cheese and sorrel omelette made with that.

Yes, tried sorrel a few years back, it is every where now, pops up in any crack or crevice, like a rash, especially as it has crimson leaves

Also same problem with Lemon balm, sowed it a few years back as I fancied herby teas at the time, now it is everwhere, including down the road and popping up near some garages

Also have garlic chives on the rampage, which is bad 'cos I hate the taste & smell of garlic. Only grew them to see if I could

For slug haters, try growing mixed cut & come again mixed salad leaves indoors, easy peasy with a windowsill

Now to other food, I finished up with teh veg lasagne last night, and it was lovely, just as I thought it would be, so the mac cheese lives on for another day, but not today

This morning was toast & marmalade x 2, lunch was cheese & tom sarnie, with 2 mini YS sausage rolls collected on this morning's Asda patrol

Tonight is a one of my Waitrose 3 for £6 ready meals, chicken & leek pie, think I will do extra veg with it, fresh caulie, broc, cabbage, carrot & parsnip, steamed, shoudl see me through, and tomorrow may be Morrison's for weekly doughnut fix :T
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    There is both Mibuna and Mizuna, Mibuna being a mustardy flavour which is stronger than mizuna. Love them both. Very easy to grow as is chard, not sure why SM don't stock it.

I think it was the Mibuna I liked best.

caronc wrote: »
    Morrison's locally did for a short while stock some more unusual veg - but stopped no doubt due to lack of demand. Small towns in the West of Scotland aren't in the main known for their culinary adventureness:( I love all the green leaves especially mustard leaf- do grow some each year but the season is short and they tend to bolt quite quickly:)

I think it went the same way here, which is a shame. I really liked the way they said how to cook things too - so if leaves were ok for salad or had to be cooked, for instance.

I might do part of next week's shop at Morrisons just to see if they have stopped.

I finally dug out the chopping grating machine I bought ages ago last night, and grated a load of cheese. It worked much better than I expected, but I did far more than I needed, and it had gone a little bit hard by the time I used it today on a baked sweet potato.

I'm doing a shopping list for next week, I've got bored of the same veg cooked the same way so I'm going to try and change it a bit.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Re grapes - I've still got a punnet of perfectly fine red grapes in the fridge with BB date of 29/12 which I'm working my way through!!! (No cashmere or yaghts here LOL ;))So I wouldn't stress about using them up if you get some just keep cold:)
    Plus keeping them in the fridge keeps them well out of reach of woofers, as they are poisonous to dogs (as are all grape products, eg sultanas, raisins, etc).

Hoping my stomach decides it's going to accept food at some stage today, as it's supposed to be a bit of a celebration this evening - exactly 1 year since Mr LW retired from work.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know what I'd like ...but it's not an option.

A good indian takeaway. I've not found a "good" one round here though, to date. I usually have the same thing: a veggie biryani, costing about £7. It's cheaper than a chicken one and I don't have to worry about finding nasty bits in the chicken ...

What I'd typically do, if there were a "good" one available is phone up and order, they say "10 minutes", then I get in the car and drive to get it.

And that's another "cooking for one" thing - you can't justify paying for indian takeaway to be delivered! They usually have minimum order values of £15 - and then you might feel you have to tip the driver....

A £7 biryani is two cartons - and I'll usually have half of each on two different days. So that's two meals worth - so the "solution" of "Order more so you can get the delivery" doesn't work as that'd be at least four days/meals worth - and it's not so good the 2nd time and at £3.50/meal it's really a "pushing the boat out, hang the expense" moment in itself, so to think of doubling up would be nuts!

No idea what I'll have though ..... no idea at all.

Got loads of food .... but it won't come to me and I don't want to go as far as the kitchen at the moment.

I think I'll do a simple cheddar toastie.... that's now the plan ... but I still have to wait until I CBA to stand up, walk to the kitchen, put two bits of bread in the toaster and open the box of grated cheese :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 March 2017 at 9:22AM
    Options
    Yesterday was a day for quick grab-it food, was far too busy to cook. I put a few chard seeds in while up on the allotment. If you can only grow one veg then chard is so good, you can use the ribs like celery and leaves like spinach and it grows in bunches

Usual soaked breakfast, soup etc for lunch and fruit and nuts etc for tea with some quick grab cakey stuff from the freezer

I have a real hankering after a cream scone today so am going to get a small tub of clotted cream. I fancy a real treat of an afternoon tea, need a resting day today as have been very physically busy for two days. Just going to potter with some sewing today and some reading and maybe a film. Soup, eggs, peanut butter, all available, even bacon and tomatoes, easy food today

https://www.weetabix.co.uk/our-products/protein/weetabix-protein
    Thought I would show you
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning oneskis :)

Last night x4 fish fingers in x2 ciabatta rolls with lettuce and mayo and a sliced tomato on the side.

Where's our Nelski she appears to be MIA..hopefully having fun and being cooked for as well as not having to wash up :D

Just 2 cups of tea and some chocolate so far this morning..I'm really hungry though for some strange reason? I'll have a coffee and a think about food :cool:
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I liked my eggy/soldiers so much yesterday I just had it again :)
    It's magnificent.

I bought a 3-pack of pasties the other day, still one in the fridge, so that might be lunch..... and I'd do rumbledethumps with it except I've no cabbage... just a fresh monster swede staring at me from the worktop with that look in its eye saying "you wish you'd never bought me now don't you". Although I might do it using some of the brussels I have in the freezer. We'll see how that all goes.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 March 2017 at 11:38AM
    Options
    Morning everyone
    Had a lovely time with my family last night and not too many leftovers. A portion of lasagne and approx 3 portions of the ragu. I do though have rather aa large tub of white sauce to portion up. I decided as I was making it, I'd just go for broke and make a massive pan. I'm not terribly good balance wise at standing and stirring so it made sense to make a batch. Unfortunately with these and the meat order coming this week (I would have left this a bit but part of it is my dad's birthday pressie (I know a strange gift but tbh these days he has everyone he needs and loves his food ;)) my freezers are going to be back to over full - still it will get used and I've now part got Easter dinner for the crowd covered:D I had hoped that some of the wee charlotte potato roasties would be LO but alas [STRIKE] the gannets[/STRIKE] my guests scoffed them :eek:

On the yikes department my son and I were clearing up last night when a mouse bolted across the floor and behind the fridge:eek: so the traps have been looked out and set:( The joys of living in an old terraced cottage in an area that's notorious for it's mouse population, getting invaded happens every so often. It's been a mildish winter so that's probably why they are later appearing this year. ETA - two mice caught:(

Not sure what's one the menu today as I'm back to CFO, will get son sorted out and on his way and see what I fancy:)
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all, I've been eating oddly the last few days to say the least. I'm away from home and cafe portions are just too much, on Friday I had a cooked breakfast and that did me for the day, yesterday I had bubble and squeak with bacon and poached eggs and then in the evening had a half portion of chips (fast food style ones) and some chocolate. Not sure what I'll have today then back home on Monday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure