»

MSE News: Commuters and holidaymakers in meltdown as harsh weather hits – your rights

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

MSE News: Commuters and holidaymakers in meltdown as harsh weather hits – your rights

edited 12 January 2017 at 2:32PM in Consumer Rights
12 replies 1.3K views
MSE_FayeMSE_Faye Former MSE
147 posts
edited 12 January 2017 at 2:32PM in Consumer Rights
Heavy snow and high winds sweeping large parts of the UK are likely to cause travel chaos...
Read the full story:
'Commuters and holidaymakers in meltdown as harsh weather hits – your rights explained'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Replies

• DoaMDoaM Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If flights are cancelled at short notice: Airlines must normally either give you a full refund of any unused ticket or offer suitable alternative travel.

What is the definition of short notice? For example, Heathrow have announced this morning that some flights will be cancelled. Is that short notice, even if the flight wasn't to be until this afternoon/evening?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • agrinnallagrinnall PPR
    23.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No snow or high winds here, but even if there had been I doubt if they would have hindered my daily commute from the bedroom to the spare room where my home office is.
  • VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Is 'meltdown' justified? Really??
  • BogalotBogalot Forumite
    1.1K posts
    If flights are delayed: You're only entitled to compensation if the delay was caused by something within the airline's control. Extraordinary circumstances aren't covered, and airlines may well classify severe weather conditions as an extraordinary circumstance.

However, you can still try asking the airline if it will compensate you – and if it turns you down and you disagree with the decision you can challenge it. European guidelines state that the airline must prove there were extraordinary circumstances and it took all reasonable steps to avoid them.

This site is compensation mad. What reasonable steps do you suggest the airlines could take to avoid ATC cancelling flights due to snow?
  • MoneyineptitudeMoneyineptitude Forumite
    26K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VT82 wrote: »
    Is 'meltdown' justified? Really??
    Typical tabloid hyperbole, nothing new from the MSE front pages.
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    21.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because of this type of 'journalism' that the country is on high alert for a few mm of snow that may not even happen.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh it hit here alright ... my normal 35-40 minute commute took 1.5 hours this morning! :mad: One of the roads was blocked because lorries couldn't make it up the various hills.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • LilElvisLilElvis Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't "travel chaos" the norm for commuters? Motorways backed up and gridlocked, trains cancelled/delayed/strikes.
  • beeg0dbeeg0d Forumite
    167 posts
    Well i just had 30cm snow for the 3rd day running, guess what, trains running as normal, flights into the airport problem free, busses running and no traffic issues. Then again im in Japan at the monent :P
  • Worth bearing in mind that none of this is free and whilst "suck it up buttercup" seems an unpopular strategy these days it might collectively be more money saving! If airlines have to pay compensation because snow makes it unsafe to operate, they'll load ticket prices to create a contingency fund to cover refunds.

We could as a country invest in enough snow shifting gear to be able to clear and grit every road but we'd pay so much more in taxes than a lost days wages that it wouldn't be worth it.
    Adventure before Dementia!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support