Jury Service

Options
I have tried looking on Google but can't find anything to answer my question.

I'm on a 6-7 week trial as a Juror. This week we have been told that we are not needed on Friday. Do I have to tell my work so I go into work on Friday or do I not have to tell them as i'm still sworn in as s Juror?

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    Options
    I don't know the answer to this, but didn't want to just read and run.

I assume you are getting paid full pay by your employer while on JS? I do have a bit of sympathy for them as 6 weeks is a long time to be without a paid employee. If you're NOT getting paid, and claiming expenses from the court, the next paragraph applies even more in one way!

Surely the best thing to do is to clarify this with the court? My common sense suggests it could go either way - the court COULD take the view that stating to your work that you are free on Friday potentially gives away which trial you're on, and might put you/the trial at risk. Or they could feel that you've been signed off for the day....
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Lil_Me_2
    Lil_Me_2 Posts: 2,664 Forumite
    Options
    My employer has a policy where it goes as far as saying that where jury service lasts less than half a day you're expected to go back to work for the remaining part of the day (wherever possible). So they would almost definitely say that if you have a whole day off then you should go to work, but if you don't have a policy then it's tough to say.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I assume you are getting paid full pay by your employer while on JS?
    Employers pay for people not to be at work, beyond their holiday entitlement? Mine doesn't!

I'd lose out a lot if I had to do jury service for more the two weeks (the court does not reimburse your full salary) and it would be a massive incovenience for work as the company is so tiny. People being away for a two week holiday we can manage, losing 25% of the workforce for two months would be another story entirely.

No wonder people try to get out of it :(
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ask your employer.

If you are not required to be in court then your employer might easily take the view that not going in to work, and not telling them is dishonest, which could result in disciplinary action against you.

Alternatively, if they have arranged cover for you they may decide that there is no point you going back for one day,in which case you can spend the day how you want, and not have to worry about them finding out.

The only exception would be if the Judge explicitly instructed you not to tell people that you weren't required that day. And if the trial were so sensitive that that was a concern then you would not need to ask, the Judge would tell you. You can't discuss details of the trial because the jury decision is supposed to be yours, not that of your mates / partner, but anyone is free to walk into the court room and watch what happens, including noticing who is on the jury.

SO - short version - call your boss, tell them that the trial is continuing but that you are not needed on Friday and ask the what they want yiu to do.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    I work for a bus company and get full pay until the court pay you for loss of earnings. Once you are excused from Jury service and the Courts pay you what they are paying you, our firm deduct that from our wages at a rate of £10 a week.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Years ago when I did Jury service, my employer filled out a form that had been sent to them about it and it asked the questions 'if not needed for a whole day are they allowed to return to work' and 'if not needed for a half day are they allowed to return to work' My employer said I could return for whole days but not for half days (I had an hours commute, so they probably didn't think it worth it).

This is over 20 years ago though so no idea if same procedure is still done.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Years ago when I did Jury service, my employer filled out a form that had been sent to them about it and it asked the questions 'if not needed for a whole day are they allowed to return to work' and 'if not needed for a half day are they allowed to return to work' My employer said I could return for whole days but not for half days (I had an hours commute, so they probably didn't think it worth it).

This is over 20 years ago though so no idea if same procedure is still done.
    It's certainly been done much more recently than that and I believe that's the current system.

OP, you need to find out what your employer said on that form, because if they said you could go in, the court won't pay you for that day.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are not needed then you must tell your employer and return to work if they require you to do so. I know of someone who didnt do this and was disciplined.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I did JS and was told I wasn't needed on a Friday so did (reluctantly) go into work. More out of fear that I'd be found out! I did get paid full salary while on JS.

I also got off early one day around 3pm and had a lovely afternoon at the Tate Modern :D No, wasn't about to go into work at that time!

Long case - must be a tough one!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My employer definitely requests that you go into work if you are not needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure