help with barclaycard ppi compensation calculation

Options
Hi. I am looking for someone to help me with my ppi refund calculation.

My complaint against barclaycard has been upheld after I contacted the financial ombudsman. Barclaycard have sent me a letter with the ppi refund and I am unsure as to how they worked out the compensation.

I had the ppi on my barclaycard from september 2003 - september 2009. The APR was 17.4%. My total premiums were £180. They have calculated my interest refund as £2.60. This seems a bit low to me. The statuatory compensation is £183.97. I have contacted barclaycard ppi line to go through the calculations and they weren't helpful. Can anyone help me with this. I just want to know that I am receiving the right amount after 2 years of pursuing this claim. Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How much interest do you think you paid on the premiums? How often were you carrying a balance on the card?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. I am looking for someone to help me with my ppi refund calculation.

My complaint against barclaycard has been upheld after I contacted the financial ombudsman. Barclaycard have sent me a letter with the ppi refund and I am unsure as to how they worked out the compensation.

I had the ppi on my barclaycard from september 2003 - september 2009. The APR was 17.4%. My total premiums were £180. They have calculated my interest refund as £2.60. This seems a bit low to me. The statuatory compensation is £183.97. I have contacted barclaycard ppi line to go through the calculations and they weren't helpful. Can anyone help me with this. I just want to know that I am receiving the right amount after 2 years of pursuing this claim. Thanks.

You receive the PPI element plus 8% simple interest (not compound) plus any interest you paid on the PPI.

You only get extra interest if the PPI was removed from your credit card bill and that would have put you in credit, if your card was consistently in debt and removing the PPI alone wouldn't have made any difference then you don't. You will only ever get back what you paid (interest aside). Unless you can prove you paid more than their calculations you should accept it

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi/redress.html#redresscc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure