PPI HSBC reclaim

Options
Newbie here..please be gentle :j

I wrote to HSBC about PPI that I has in 1999 - 2004 using a template from MSE :beer:

They wrote back saying they that their records only went back 6 years and they couldn't see anything.

As I don't have paperwork from 16 + years ago - what can i do ?

Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you don't have records...and they don't have records...nothing.

You could gamble £10 on a SAR but I'm be fairly confident it'd be £10 in the bin.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    BLUESKIES wrote: »
    As I don't have paperwork from 16 + years ago - what can i do ?
    Not much.

If both you and the Bank have no records then your "complaint" is over before it's begun.

You can spend £10 on a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter to be certain there are no records.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 January 2017 at 6:27PM
    Options
    You may have paid it legitimately so no complaints there

You don't get it back just becauseyou

You really just need to move on
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    It's pre regulation too, so they can just say tough.

No.
    High street Banks cannot say "tough" on pre-regulation complaints because they had their own regulatory body in place prior to 2005.

This has been pointed out to you before, McKneff, so please don't post this misinformation.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Blueskies - this isn't correct across the board (that HSBC only retain records for 6 years), although, it may be true in relation to your complaint.

eg a friend just received compensation from HSBC re Card Guard which was taken out in 1997 and HSBC had records of those payments as did Card Guard/CPP!

[This surprised me as the CPP compensation scheme ended a year ago, although I recall that was only for more recent cover than this historic policy]
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Banks have to hold data in line with the data protection act, they are supposed to delete old data which they have no reason to hold and the common guideline in finance is 6 years. If you have no active products with them and haven't since 2004 then 12+ years it is reasonable they would have deleted it as required by law.

At best you could gamble the £10 on a DSAR and hope they turn something up that front line staff can't see but the guidance is only that it is available in a system a reasonably trained temp could find
  • BLUESKIES
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills