PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Helping parents to buy a house

Options
13»

Comments

• flourpower1
    Options
    You are doing right by your parents and it's very generous of you.
    You could get them on the housing register, get help from medical, social workers etc. then because your parents need your help they will become priority listed and a property for them to rent would become available quickly.
    Then theirs could be sold allowing them some extra spending money yes they would have to pay rent until their income reaches a curtain figure but it would give them more freedom.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Thanks for explaining the details. Although your parents are clearly restricted in their current house is it a good idea to move area in their 70s?

They will be nearer to you but will leave all of their friends behind. It can be very isolating starting afresh in a new area particularly if one or both are disabled.

It's a balance between what's for the best - it's lovely to stay near friends but if the family members who will provide care are over 2 hours away, then moving closer may be the preferable option.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In reality whilst might sound like a great idea to keep close to friends, how often are they able to get out to see them / do their friends visit as they get increasingly frail ?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 January 2017 at 7:49PM
    Options
    You are doing right by your parents and it's very generous of you.
    You could get them on the housing register, get help from medical, social workers etc. then because your parents need your help they will become priority listed and a property for them to rent would become available quickly.
    Then theirs could be sold allowing them some extra spending money yes they would have to pay rent until their income reaches a curtain figure but it would give them more freedom.

Getting on the list and being priority can mean many people in between these two positions, but a big problem, in times where special (in fact any) housing is in very short supply, is that the couple would be from another local authority and the one where the OP lives would be obliged to give priority to its own long term residents.

Several years ago, when council houses round here were lying empty, my husband's gran was unable to get a council bungalow or flat (the former and ground floor flats, even then, being much sort after), as she needed to move from a different county , so my in-laws had to find her private accommodation.
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 January 2017 at 4:03PM
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Thanks for explaining the details. Although your parents are clearly restricted in their current house is it a good idea to move area in their 70s?

They will be nearer to you but will leave all of their friends behind. It can be very isolating starting afresh in a new area particularly if one or both are disabled.

My dad really only has one person he keeps in touch with, and sees him about once a year. My mum does have a friend she sees about once a month which obviously would have to stop and just be via the telephone if they move. Although very coincidentally, my mum's friend's daughter moved up our way a few years ago, and lives very nearby. So it would be quite possible for my mum to still see her friend, whenever she comes up to visit her daughter.

It was our suggestion they move to somewhere stair-free, we did NOT suggest moving to be near to us (although I think it a sensible idea, as the less independent they get, they really will become isolated with no real contacts where they live now, especially when my dad can't drive any more).

So appreciate that is something to raise for consideration, but it's really not of a worry. My parents are the ones keen to move nearer so they see more of us. Living near us, they'll be able to go out and do things much much more often than they currently do :) We can drive them to places, go to see them regularly - every week if not more, instead of currently where we see them about 4 times a year.
  • downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have you looked at Abbeyfield? My mother is planning on going into one of these. Self contained flats/bungalows but with meals etc provided if required. Rent is incredibly reasonable and includes all the things she worries about in her own house - maintenance, garden, things going wrong, unexplainable bills etc. She will then sell her home in her own time (or even let it if she likes) and save the income in case she needs nursing care later.

Thinking of putting my name down myself, they look lovely!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 January 2017 at 8:57PM
    Options
    Have you looked at Abbeyfield? My mother is planning on going into one of these. Self contained flats/bungalows but with meals etc provided if required. Rent is incredibly reasonable and includes all the things she worries about in her own house - maintenance, garden, things going wrong, unexplainable bills etc. She will then sell her home in her own time (or even let it if she likes) and save the income in case she needs nursing care later.

Do you believe going into a care facility is the right time to start a business, manage the tax and legalities and be coping with a tenant ?
  • boots_babe
    Options

Not something I've heard of so thank you, I will have a look.
  • boots_babe
    Options
    After everyone's help I thought I should post back following our solicitor's appointment yesterday.

It was a really useful meeting, he went through all our options and all the things we need to consider. Good news is there were no surprises, so the only things we had to think about were the CGT, care home fees, ensuring the will was able to work as intended. We also talked about scenarios in the future if we say had to invest further in the house to replace boiler, add a room, etc etc and how our money would be protected there.

The result is pretty simple and minimal in cost, and both us and my parents are happy so that’s good :-)

Mum and dad will buy the property as tenants in common, with my husband and I setting up a Declaration of Trust which effectively gives us 1st charge on our proportion of investment on the property. This incurs no additional taxes or levies for us or them.

Mum and dad will also amend their wills to each setup a lifetime trust to one another, meaning that when the first of them dies, the other gets their portion of the house ringfenced in the trust, available for them to use but protecting it from any care home fee requirement, should the remaining parent need to go into a home at some point.

This meets all our requirements and is fair to all parties, so we’re very pleased. Thanks again for everyone’s input.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure