How do you go about selling a grave

Hi All

Hoping someone could point me in the right direction

My grandparents purchased plot in the City of London cemetery many many years ago

They moved to Nottingham a while back and when my Grandad recently passed away my aunt brought a double plot closer to their new home

We were wondering if she is able to see the double plot in London and how we would go about this?
First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you asked the CoL cemetery staff about this?
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 January 2017 at 1:42PM
    I've tried calling keep leaving messages no one has come back to us.

I'll keep trying though
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Faith177 wrote: »
    My grandparents purchased plot in the City of London cemetery many many years ago

A plot isn't bought in perpetuary so there may be nothing to sell.

"​When you buy a grave you purchase the exclusive Rights of Burial in that grave for a set period of time. Should you not renew your lease options, then the exclusive rights of burial will eventually run out. Every 5 years during the duration of the lease the registered owner will be written to and offered the option to extend the length of lease."
  • Faith177
    Mojisola wrote: »

"​When you buy a grave you purchase the exclusive Rights of Burial in that grave for a set period of time. Should you not renew your lease options, then the exclusive rights of burial will eventually run out. Every 5 years during the duration of the lease the registered owner will be written to and offered the option to extend the length of lease."

They have never been written to about a lease and they haven't had to pay anything since the initial purchase with their funeral plan
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If this was all some time ago as you say, then the letter reminding them that the lease is expiring may have been sent to their old address, or binned and been long forgotten.

What does their original paperwork say about the length of the lease?
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 January 2017 at 5:26PM
    It's possible they may have purchased the burial rights when they were for 90 years, nowadays they're only 30 with the right to extend (for an additional fee) as Mojisola has indicated (makes more money for the local authority). In which case you won't have had a reminder yet & as said before, check the address either way.

You won't be selling the grave but you can, (obviously for a fee), pay the local authority to transfer ownership of the burial rights to someone else (ours charge about £50), whether you would be allowed to actually charge that person additional monies is another matter. There may be small print preventing this, but possibly nothing to stop you doing this 'under the counter' - on your head be that though!

I wonder if space is tight in that cemetery, perhaps the council might be prepared to buy it back?
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Faith177
    It's possible they may have purchased the burial rights when they were for 90 years, nowadays they're only 30 with the right to extend as Mojisola has indicated (makes more money for the local authority). In which case you won't have had a reminder yet & as said before, check the address either way.

You won't be selling the grave but you can, (obviously for a fee), pay the local authority to transfer ownership of the burial rights to someone else (ours charge about £50), whether you would be allowed to actually charge that person additional monies is another matter. There may be small print preventing this, but possibly nothing to stop you doing this 'under the counter' - on your head be that though!

I wonder if space is tight in that cemetery, perhaps the council might be prepared to buy it back?

Think this was probably the case as it was ages ago they brought them but I will double check when I go up there next week

Yep all details have been updated my Grandad worked for the Post Office and had a real bee in his bonnet about letting everyone know about the address change. There is a letter confirming they have updated their records sent to my Grandparents new address :rotfl:
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Good link missb & I stand corrected, we've only purchased with 30 year right to burial, not older grave ownership so that will be helpful for OP. Where I live the price it doesn't even include the right to erect a headstone, so interesting that some others do.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mojisola wrote: »

That's interesting has I have a lair and decided to look on the councils website...
    Lairs are provided forever
    , I wonder if "forever" has a limited time definition.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport