Quids in for a Limited Time

Options

Comments

• Silence101
    Options
    Catalan chicken - it’s a lot of ingredients but we tend to substitute stuff depending what we have in !
    Olive oil.
    3 cloves of chopped garlic, 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped celery sticks, 1 pepper cut in strips.
    Serrano ham (we usually replace that with bacon)
    4 chicken thighs
    125ml sherry (we usually give that a miss)
    500ml chicken stock
    Rosemary, thyme, parsley, saffron, paprika (2 teaspoons), salt and pepper
    Tin of chopped tomatoes
    Tin of either borlotti, cannellini or butter beans
    Orange zest (we usually give that a miss too)
    Fry vegetables, then remove and fry ham, remove and fry chicken, remove and deglaze with the sherry. Boil stock. Put everything back in with the herbs and spices, orange zest, and tin tomatoes. Bring to boil then simmer for 30 minutes. Add beans simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Silence101
    Options
    Salmon stir fry
    Onions, carrots, spring onions , any veg lying around really, chopped finely and fried. Add fresh salmon, with lemon juice and honey and soya sauce. At the same time cook the egg noodles in water. Once noodles ready, fry them with the vegetables and salmon for 30 seconds/a minute. Dish up.

Pancakes
    For the batter- 2 eggs, 90g butter, 100g flour
    Filling - spinach 300g, mushrooms 200g, 50g cheese. Fry mushrooms and spinach, once cooked add cheese.
    Once you’ve filled the pancakes, place them in an oven dish and cover them with yoghurt and cheese and bake.
  • Silence101
    Options
    I thought there was milk in the pancakes batter, but any pancake batter would do, as long as you don’t add sugar.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    I usually use stock and a glug of wine. Then half way through I put the creme fraiche in to thicken.

Silence - thanks for the salmon stir fry idea. I'm going to try that tonight :)
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
  • Maiden_Mum
    Options
    Thank you Silence101 and Jellibeanz! I intend to try lots of new dishes over the xmas break. At the moment it feels like a case of just trying to get through the next few weeks until we break up from school. The noise levels are increasing as is the staff's tiredness!

November food spends came to £632.94, eating out £55 and clothes for me £38. Petrol I forgot to keep a record of.

December could be an expensive month as I may have to make a visit to Scotland to visit my Mum who has not been well, as well having the usual xmas expenses. Going out and eating out costs will be higher as well no doubt. Income will also start decreasing next month so beltes will definitely need tightening somewhere!
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Hello MM
    How are you bearing up now we are nearly at the end of term? Hope you are not feeling too tired x
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
  • Maiden_Mum
    Options
    It's been a month since I last logged in!

Yes thank you Jellibeanz - I made it to the end of term without any time off sick so that was good as it was an 8.5 week term which was hard going!

I was just reading through the last few posts and am feeling rather guilty. When I am working I make the excuse of new dishes not tried for dinner as I'm too tired but I have been off work for a week now and still no new dishes have been tried! I just feel so "CBA" as my kids would say and the days just seem to be whizzing by with not an awful lot being achieved other than a bit of reading and dog walking! I've also eaten way too much chocolate and other Xmas goodies and am going to end up looking like an elephant for my big-birthday party in February!

As 2017 is drawing to an end and a new year approaching where I turn the big 50, it has got me thinking lots about my finances but to be honest I just feel like a headless chicken running around but not achieving anything. I know I need to be doing things to look after us financially in the future but I don't really know what! I like the idea of paying off the mortgage early but to be honest the rate is so low, I'm not even sure it makes much sense. We only have very limited savings so I understand that we should have much more in case of emergencies such as job losses or car or house repairs being required. I've also been thinking about pensions and am beginning to panic in that respect a bit. I have a very old company pension from when I worked in an office many years ago and also my small current work one but that's it. I have no idea how much either is worth. I have been trying to research about whether it is worth starting a private one now ( & again I don't really have any idea how you do this!) but so far from my research for every person who says "it's never too late to start" another person says it is a waste of time starting so late and you'd be better off owning the most expensive house (or houses) that you can afford and then selling it to downsize & use that surplus cash as your pension. So on that note it actually makes me wonder whether we would be better off borrowing more on our mortgage ( which as I said is on a very low rate) and getting the many things done on our house that need doing! I basically have no idea what to do for the best. I do know though that we need to start saving more!

I only managed a £50 extra payment to the mortgage last month due to having to do the trip to Scotland to visit my mum plus the usual cost of Xmas. I spent another £663 on food (plus I need milk tomorrow), £12 on clothes for me, £93 on eating out (for 2 of us) and at least £120 on petrol (including Scotland trip) but quite possibly more as I think I may have missed one purchase.
  • Maiden_Mum
    Maiden_Mum Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    I made a payment of £100 to the mortgage today. It may well not be the right thing to do but doing anything is surely better than doing nothing? Its so much easier though to just make a payment every month than consciously save up every month to get to a decent amount without spending it!

I did also think about joining survey sites etc and I might do this later today but really the extra amount I could make every month from doing them is peanuts compared to the amount I could save if I could only get my food spends down every month! So in this respect I have set myself a budget of £450 for food for January which I know compared to many other people is still ridiculously high but would be an improvement for me! And I have transferred what is remaining out of this £450 ( about £350) into a separate bank account and will transfer the money out of this account into my main account every time I spend on food (or toiletries or cleaning, basically anything from a supermarket). Time to start living out of the freezer a bit more I think!

I've also transferred over £350 into a savings account. No idea tbh whether this will be achievable this month as I know OH put some of his Xmas spends on his credit card so that will need paying off when he gets his statement this month and I also have my party for next month to pay for but at least it has been done and it will feel like a step backwards if I do have to transfer it back into the main account.

There are so many things that need doing in our house that I find it rather depressing, particularly after visiting other houses over the holiday period and seeing how lovely some of them are . Part of me thinks shall we just get some of the cheaper, more simpler things done e.g. the kitchen has no blind or anything at the window or new carpets maybe but then I also think no, what the house really needs is a wall being knocked down between the kitchen and a small dining room and a new kitchen fitted.

Lastly my thoughts are on work a little because yet again we need more redundancies. Enough people volunteered last year which meant that those that wanted to stay didn't have to apply for their own jobs but whether this will be the same for this year and next as it a three year plan who knows? It is a but unsettling and I guess in this respect I would be better off to just concentrate on having a decent EF just in case I do lose my job.
  • VDOT47
    VDOT47 Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    Hi MM - sorry, realised I didn't see your reply on 27/11 (!) - we use Jus Rol Gluten Free puff pastry. They sell it in Tesco for sure (and probably elsewhere). You just roll it out, put the toppings on it then stick in the oven like a pizza. Dead simple!

My OH makes very good sausage rolls using the same GF pastry and some GF sausagemeat from Tesco too (sadly, the only sausagemeat that they sell which is GF is the Tesco Finest sausagemeat, so it isn't that money saving friendly, but it does taste good and is another useful GF meal to add to the list!).
    Original Mortgage (Feb '17) £269,995
    Current Mortgage (End 11/19) £226,790
    End Date November 2039 Original End Date February 2042
  • Maiden_Mum
    Options
    The good news is I have generally been much more focused on my food spends this month which means I am still within budget and have £45 left until the end of the month. It is working well having the budget amount in a separate account and every time I spend on anything in a supermarket I transfer the money from this account into my main account. It helps to show me how much the main account. (There are so many DDs etc that come out throughout the whole month, that it means it is still a bit of an unknown when I look at the balance every day.) Up until yesterday I did feel that I wasn't buying anything unnecessary but kind of lost that a bit last night when I visited M & S in search of some gluten-free naan breads & ended up falling for the spend a higher amount to get some off trick so £29 ended up being spent there on things that weren't totally necessary. Less than one week to Oh's payday and 11 days to mine (which is also when the food budget runs out). Hoping my savings I made at the beginning of the month stay intack and I also don't go over my food budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure