We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lowering and raising credit limits

I currently have 3 active credit cards with the following credit limits:
A = £3000
B = £6000
C = £7000

Ironically, I use credit card "A" for my most expensive purchases because it offers me 1% cashback, but it currently has the lowest credit limit.

Therefore, I am thinking of trying to lower my credit limit on both credit cards "B" and "C" and raising the credit limit on credit card "A"

However, before I do something I might regret, I have a couple of questions:
1. Does lowering credit limits have any negative affect on credit rating?
2. I know there are no 100% gurantees, but how likely is it that I would be able to raise the credit limit of credit card "A", after lowering the credit limit on both credit cards "B" and "C"?

Thanks for any help and a Happy New Year to all!

Comments

  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 1 January 2017 at 4:02PM
    GaryG wrote: »
    I currently have 3 active credit cards with the following credit limits:
    A = £3000
    B = £6000
    C = £7000

    Ironically, I use credit card "A" for my most expensive purchases because it offers me 1% cashback, but it currently has the lowest credit limit.

    Therefore, I am thinking of trying to lower my credit limit on both credit cards "B" and "C" and raising the credit limit on credit card "A"

    However, before I do something I might regret, I have a couple of questions:
    1. Does lowering credit limits have any negative affect on credit rating?
    2. I know there are no 100% gurantees, but how likely is it that I would be able to raise the credit limit of credit card "A", after lowering the credit limit on both credit cards "B" and "C"?

    Thanks for any help and a Happy New Year to all!
    The higher the limit the better, assuming spending is relatively low/mediocre. Why would you want to lower the limits? To creditors it looks like you have thousands available to you, but no need to use this amount. It looks like you're using credit sensibly. Somebody else might be able to offer more in terms of advice, but I've been sorting my own finances out over the past few years and this is what I've learned.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    GaryG wrote: »
    I currently have 3 active credit cards with the following credit limits:
    A = £3000
    B = £6000
    C = £7000

    Ironically, I use credit card "A" for my most expensive purchases because it offers me 1% cashback, but it currently has the lowest credit limit.

    Therefore, I am thinking of trying to lower my credit limit on both credit cards "B" and "C" and raising the credit limit on credit card "A"

    However, before I do something I might regret, I have a couple of questions:
    1. Does lowering credit limits have any negative affect on credit rating?
    2. I know there are no 100% gurantees, but how likely is it that I would be able to raise the credit limit of credit card "A", after lowering the credit limit on both credit cards "B" and "C"?

    Thanks for any help and a Happy New Year to all!
    Point 2: Why lower cards B and C first? Try to raise the limit on A first.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Why don't you close one of the other cards, rather than lowering limits.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • GaryG
    GaryG Posts: 29 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Why don't you close one of the other cards, rather than lowering limits.

    That's a good question, and I do have reasons not to close either of them completely:
    - Card "B" is a Sainsbury's Mastercard and although I only use it on Sainsbury's Groceries and Fuel, I get a load of Nectar points with it whilst using it in Sainsbury's. In 2016 I amassed around £200 worth of points, so it is well worth keeping, although outside of Sainsbury's it is worthless only giving me 1 point for every £5. Therefore I use the other cards outside of Sainsbury's
    - Card "C" is a candidate for closure, it is a standard Visa which came with my current account, but it still gives me 0.5% cashback on any purchases, so I want to keep it as a backup card whenever/where ever card "A" is not accepted; card "A" is Amex :cool:
  • GaryG
    GaryG Posts: 29 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Point 2: Why lower cards B and C first? Try to raise the limit on A first.

    I suppose that was part of my original question. Would being rejected due to having too much overall credit be a negative for my credit rating!?!
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 6,050 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    GaryG wrote: »
    I suppose that was part of my original question. Would being rejected due to having too much overall credit be a negative for my credit rating!?!

    Have you any reason to suspect you would be rejected due to having too much overall credit? I'm not convinced that makes much difference. I have over twice my salary in credit card limits and very readily get more.

    What is likely to be more important is how much you are using. Over 50% of salary in used credit is an issue. Also percentage of credit used is a concern for lenders. Reducing your limit will make that worse.
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    There is no guarantee that lowering the credit limit on cards B and C will improve your chances of increasing the limit on card A. Each lender will have their own criteria for when they will consider a credit limit. eg. They may want 12 months of satisfactory use before they will consider a credit increase.

    Sometimes credit providers won't even combine the limits on two of their own credit cards. I had an old Tesco CC with a large credit limit and applied for a new Tesco 0% BT card but was only given a much lower credit limit. I assumed if I closed the old card they would add the limit to the new one, or at least increase the limit. But they wouldn't budge.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    Try to get the limit on card A raised but do not lower the limits on cards B and C. This is wrong thinking. You will become a low limit type of person and be given low limits.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Unless, C is a Nationwide card (with forex free spending) then I'd still be inclined to cancel as you'd only be getting the marginal benefit between Sainsburys and Amex spending.
    GaryG wrote: »
    That's a good question, and I do have reasons not to close either of them completely:
    - Card "B" is a Sainsbury's Mastercard and although I only use it on Sainsbury's Groceries and Fuel, I get a load of Nectar points with it whilst using it in Sainsbury's. In 2016 I amassed around £200 worth of points, so it is well worth keeping, although outside of Sainsbury's it is worthless only giving me 1 point for every £5. Therefore I use the other cards outside of Sainsbury's
    - Card "C" is a candidate for closure, it is a standard Visa which came with my current account, but it still gives me 0.5% cashback on any purchases, so I want to keep it as a backup card whenever/where ever card "A" is not accepted; card "A" is Amex :cool:
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.