West London - quote for work - where shall I start

Hi Guys,

We live in West London, and gonna move in into our First Home in two weeks, and have quite a lot of work to do on our house, and want to know where/how can I find a trustworthy builder/fitter. I talked to a builder before, he talked to me as I am a total idiot !! :confused: .. well.. and gave me some rediculous price !!..

We' just want to know how much labour fee we'll expect for asking builder to do these work for us.. without being ripped off too much..

replaster-repaint - 4 (3.5mx3.2m) small rooms + hall way
remove old kitchen - fit new kitchen.
put a door in the kitchen, which leads to conservatory

hm.. we put away around 3.5k for kitchen units+appliance.. (i know it's tight)..hope it's enough.

Where do we start ? is it normally one builder do one job ? or some of them can do all work together? Also for things like kitchen fitting, it needs plumbing to connect washing machine, dish washer, does one kitchen fitter do all work together ?..Shall I just start by calling builders from local directory ?

Sorry for asking so many questions in one go. I am just panicing, as we are about to move into a house with NO KITCHEN at all, no furniture, no internet, and God knows when I will have a proper bed to sleep .... I haven't started shopping for any furniture yet, want to wait until we exchange, which is next FRIDAY.. how exciting !!

Any advice welcome, and appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Anybody helps.. pls...
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To be honest, you are probably looking at a lot more than £3.5k for that. Kitchens are the most expensive room in the house, even more so if there is gas involved if you need to move your boiler or cooker.

I live in NW London & paid £1000 to have my living room (20sqm) stripped, plastered & painted.

Best thing to do is write down every single little thing that needs doing & ask a builder to give you a fixed quote for the job (note not an estimate as estimate costs can vary throughout the project).

If he can't do the entire job then you will have to find someone else to do the bits he can't. The ones that can normally do every single job are usually more expensive than hiring several people to do each task

I can recommend a water plumber if you need one of those, I don't have any builders though. I fell out with the last one when he tried to increase the cost by 50% half way through :(
  • Thank you very much.... I am really worried about the costs. !!! ..... ...... don't know where to start, and what to do.... ... . will see them, hopefully, there will be a way out.

1000 pounds for one room.. faint again !.... hmm.........why they r all so costly.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    up here you can budget for 100/200 quid per day per man. depending on the trade.
    you can probably double that for west london.

i know a decent sparky in staines if that helps you any?
    Get some gorm.
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Try and get a breakdown for each seperate works.

Ie, fitted kitchen, plastering, decorating.

If you could give me as much info re the painting, then I will try and give you a rough price.
    I live in West london, or greater london lol,and do decorating for a living, but I need as much info as you can give.

Walls, ceilings, how many rooms, roughly what size, doors, are they previously painted, what condition are they in, skirtings, frames etc.

If your getting some of the rooms plastered, check with the builder/decorator what paint he intends to put the new plaster, as this is crucial, as if he puts on the wrong paint you will have problems further down the line, and if he mentions, PVAing the new plaster first,:eek: then show him the door.
  • PVA'ing 1st :mad:. With the 4 rooms, are the ceilings being done aswell? On average room that size will be about £250,with ceiling about £350
    -£400. Depending on size H/S/L's
    are about £500-£700. I usually allow 1 room per day and 2 for the H/S/L.

As for painting,missy will put you right on that one.

For you kitchen if you allow £1k for the fitting you have £2.5k for the kitchen at appliances.

The door, is the frame all ready there? if so that shouldn't be that bigger job. If there's not,then depending if its a supporting wall i would allow a few hundred pounds for it.

Hope this helps
    Jase
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Hi Jason, I am going to PM you very shortly as need to ask your advice on something.
    I cant go into too much detail, as the person involved sometimes has a look in on the site,but a regular client of mine I feel is being well overcharged for some plastering that will be starting in the next 2 weeks.

Will PM you soon.:D
  • Ok no worries missy
  • jason_s wrote: »
    PVA'ing 1st :mad:. With the 4 rooms, are the ceilings being done aswell? On average room that size will be about £250,with ceiling about £350
    -£400. Depending on size H/S/L's
    are about £500-£700. I usually allow 1 room per day and 2 for the H/S/L.

As for painting,missy will put you right on that one.

For you kitchen if you allow £1k for the fitting you have £2.5k for the kitchen at appliances.

The door, is the frame all ready there? if so that shouldn't be that bigger job. If there's not,then depending if its a supporting wall i would allow a few hundred pounds for it.

Hope this helps
    Jase

Thanks ! The door we want to do doesn't exist yet, no frame, structure wall.., goes to a brick - shed (which we plan to turn into a conservatory), and was told today that we'll need replaster the kitchen as well, is it necessary ?how much extra if we want to put DPC on kitchen floor as well ?

Can anyone recommand a trustworthy builder in West London ? That call do our work ? Is it better to do quote on diffferent jobs, or get sb. to do everything ?

With our exchange coming near, getting more and more tensed now.
  • Are you sure they don't charge more, coz they deal with everything ?
    of course we would like to get one compnay dealing all to save the hassle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure