New laptop protection options sought.

I've recently bought a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10, which I have to say I'm not crazy about with its interminable updates and messages (Vista I'm missing you).
My previous Dell laptop has Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 installed on it, which I find excellent, and which also has a safe money option, allowing extra protected status when banking and making financial transactions.
My new PC has McAfee AV on it for a trial period, but I'm not a big fan.
I'm wondering whether I should go for a free anti-virus package suggestions please - Avira? - and combine this with Trusteer Rapport
https://www.trusteer.com/ProtectYourMoney
Members advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You could just use MS Security Essentials, good enough for most needs.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Advice over previous years has been to avoid Trusteer Rapport like one avoids McAfee AV, because it slowed down the PC, suffered from unexpected glitches, and the like. It's always possible that they have fixed all this by now, which would justify the fact that many banks push people to install T-R for online banking. Me, I continue to avoid it, and would change online bank if it insisted on me using it.

As to AV, Kaspersky is good, as is Avast! (which has the merit of freeness). Windows Defender is adequate, as neilmcl says. If you believe in Malwarebytes Antimalware, their chargeable package gets good reviews.
  • John_Gray wrote: »
    As to AV, Kaspersky is good, as is Avast! (which has the merit of freeness). Windows Defender is adequate, as neilmcl says. If you believe in Malwarebytes Antimalware, their chargeable package gets good reviews.
    Thank you John, but not too sure about Avast after reading this..

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30896221-Is-Avast-12-2-2276-horribly-broken-for-users-here-as-well
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Maybe a recent glitch for them, too?!
  • You could just use MS Security Essentials, good enough for most needs.

Yep. And to help prevent malware getting onto your PC, I'd augment with uBlock Origin on your web browser(s) (and Ghostery if really keen with Chrome) and set your router to use OpenDNS (https://signup.opendns.com/homefree/) rather than your ISPs DNS.
  • I thought Microsoft Security Essentials is only suitable for Vista and Windows 7?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    KIS 2017 or Kaspersky Total Security .
    I dont recommend any other products .
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Presumably you haven't got Kaspersky Internet Security because it's not free? If you have a Barclays account you can get it for free, otherwise cheapish to buy eg
    £16 @Ebuyer
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    I thought Microsoft Security Essentials is only suitable for Vista and Windows 7?
    Sorry, it's renamed as Windows Defender on Win 10.
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    KIS 2017 or Kaspersky Total Security .
    I dont recommend any other products .

I have taken your advice JJ. :)
    By the way, I was able to find a coupon code in Groupon that made it a bit cheaper, I just typed in WINTER.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure