PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting Advice - Boilers

Hi all,

So, yesterday my wife and I worked to our London flat to find the boiler had died a death of sorts.

(Vaillant Ecotec F.76 error for those that get turned on by that sort of thing... ;) )

Some background: the previous boiler died of old age less than a year ago, resulting in this new install. That in itself was fraught with pain; it took over a month to complete, and when done still ended up with a gas leak!
My wife and I will be likely moving out in two months or so also, so my big worry is that she'll just stall till we're gone, once we give our notice.
And this house is COLD. And I'm currently trying to get over a really nasty chest infection. (Can someone say Tiny Tim?)

Now, my questions come in three parts.

1. I came across this link: http://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/advice_from_us/heating-and-hot-water/#The_Landlord_is_required_to_provide_you_with_reliable_heating_and_hot_water

How reliable is what they have to say, considering it isn't a legal advice website?

2. What can we do if LL decides to drag her heels about getting this repaired?

3. How would you recommend we begin this inevitably painful process?

Thanks in advance,

C

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You say the boiler is less than a year old so all the L needs to do is call Vaillant and get a warranty repair. It would be madness for her to drag her heels, surely.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    anselld wrote: »
    You say the boiler is less than a year old so all the L needs to do is call Vaillant and get a warranty repair. It would be madness for her to drag her heels, surely.
    Indeed, don't understand why you are assuming that she will want to do nothing at this stage. Have you already contacted her and she indicated she was interested?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 31 December 2016 at 9:50AM
    1) That source isn't particularly reliable. Some of it is what a tenant would like not what a landlord must do. Yes you need heating but that doesn't have to be from central heating. It could be from electric heaters so have you asked your landlord for an alternative source of heating? Have you bought an electric heater yourself since your cough is so bad Tiny Tim? ;)

As for the hot water, does the property have an electric shower? I assume you at least have a kettle and therefore access to hot water that way to tide you over.

2) Your landlady needs to get repairs done in a reasonable timescale. So what's reasonable? Yes the boiler should be under warranty so should just require a phone call from your landlady to the installer or whomever she bought the boiler from. However, it's Saturday and Hogmanay meaning it's probably going to tricky to get hold of someone to sort the boiler over the next few days.

A month from a boiler failing to installing a new one isn't particularly bad. I think I was 6 weeks from an old boiler failing to a new boiler up and running in my home and that was in mid-winter in Aberdeen not the tropical climate of London. :)

If you feel your landlady is dragging her heels though just follow Shelter's process, step 1 WRITE a letter to your landlady.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/how_to_report_repairs_to_a_private_landlord

3) By contacting your landlady if you haven't already and chilling out (pun intended) until there actually is a problem.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Many boilers have a reset button on them. If so have you tried pressing that?

It may get it going again to give you some heat even if it's only a temporary fix.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,957 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    So, yesterday my wife and I worked to our London flat to find the boiler had died a death of sorts.

I doubt it's dead.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    silvercar wrote: »
    I doubt it's dead.
    Indeed. Quick google for the error code suggests it's either pretty terminal (unlikely on a year-old boiler unless it's been very badly installed) or very minor.

It's the thermal fuse on the heat exchanger. If the fuse really has gone, the heat exchanger is viewed by the manufacturer are irredeemably knackered. More likely is that it's a simple wiring problem, perhaps even a loose connector.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Not syre why you are not simply following the correct reporting procedure.

Ring, email, text etc if you have those etails and follow up immediately with a letter.

If no 'instant' contact details, then write.

Why expect the worst when you've apparantly done noting yet?

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)

and yes, in your letter request (politely) alternative heating eg electric till the boiler is fixd.
  • Thanks everyone, really helpful advice.

I'm getting the feeling that it could be lose worrying myself, but have no way to prove that etc.

We called her and emailed yesterday, then mucked around with the reset and prayed vigorously till it eventually came back. It does again after maybe 30-60 mins, but you can get a shower in that time, so small victories.

For those of you talking about us giving her a chance etc, I appreciate that, but this tends to be her style. It's a long story, and I don't want to get into it without it sounding like a string of "and then one time, she didn't do x, and then..." etc
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We ... mucked around with the reset and prayed vigorously till it eventually came back. It does again after maybe 30-60 mins, but you can get a shower in that time, so small victories.
    So it's just a minor wiring problem. If the fuse had definitely gone, then it wouldn't have come back at all.

Remember what time of year it is. You had a problem on the day before New Year's Eve (Friday), and it's now New Year's Day (Sunday). If you were an owner-occupier, could the problem have been realistically sorted in that time...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure