From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Entertaining older ones, especially teens in school hols can be expensive. Gone are the days when taking a ball to the park was sufficient!

Do the older ones still like the beach? Mine do, but we are quite far inland, if we lived close to the sea, the novelty might have worn off by now.

Here, one of the swimming pools puts the prices up in the school hols! That was something that used to annoy me no end, so if the kids had an inset day tagged on, I'd make sure we went swimming then whilst it was still at the lower price.

Is there anything you can do to make the next school hols cheaper for you? Have a school hols leisure budget perhaps?

I must admit when I read your posts about DD1, I get mixed feelings about my DS who should be going to Uni this Autumn. I'm excited for him, but a bit sad for myself.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    That's a good idea Spendless, to have a school holiday budget. Mine do love the beach. We are very blessed to live near 2 or 3 beaches. I prefer the large flat sandy beaches because I can keep an eye on where everyone is! The teenagers prefer a local rocky beach that is breathtakingly beautiful and stunning but has strong currents at certain points of the tide and is a nightmare with a toddler in tow! We negotiate on which beach regularly!

I think this summer might be a little different. DD1 has worked in a shop for the last 2 summers and she was told last year, that she could go back. DD2 having almost completed a year of her course should be able to pick up a seasonal catering job and DS1 may well have started an apprenticeship by then, so I can see the summer involving the younger ones, which will be quite nice for them to enjoy days out and about. I'll certainly start saving now though!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    On Sunday I did try to be a little more organised and made a pan full of lentil and bacon soup. For the last 3 days I've taken soup for lunch at work. Often things get so busy, it's very easy to forget to eat or grab a banana between tasks so sitting down for 5 mins to eat the soup was beneficial in more ways than just financial.

Tonight has been such a lovely evening. I've really enjoyed an evening walk and watched the lambs in the fields. The toddler presented me with a dandelion...isn't it the simplest things that produce joy?!

Financially I have 2 school camps to pay for that are happening this term. Both have had deposits paid so I'm hoping to pay £150 towards the cost this week.

In the greenhouse the courgettes are emerging from the compost. I'll need to plant out the sweet peas this weekend and get more sown.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Make that 3 camps! Just had a letter home about a camp for DS2 at secondary. At least that's a predominantly walking exercise and therefore cheaper than the other camps planned with various trips.

I've had courses all day today from 9 until 6 but in 2 parts of the county so have had to hurtle around trying to collect my children and sort childcare before getting to the second location. The course were good even if the logistics and timings were stressful. I was somewhat tired when I got home so tea was a pasta based dish.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    A surprise awaiting me on my return from the courses on Thursday was the ex's dog in the kitchen along with the 2 puppies she had just given birth to. Mercifully only 2 n the litter. The ex's dog s still in the kitchen....so three adult dogs to feed for the foreseeable future.

I had a lovely day yesterday, making the most of the fine weather to head to the beach. The tide was so far out that we could walk round to the next two coves from the beach we were on. It was a rare time to see DD2 without her siblings, save for the toddler.

A very spendy day today but I have bought a washing line (rotRy) as the last one collapsed in a storm. The joy of pegging washing out !!!!! Hoping I can save money by not using the tumble dryer.

I've spent a couple of hours helping DS1 to apply for an apprenticeship. So weird to think that he's old enough to leave school and start work!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How come you've ended up with the exes dog and her 2 pups? :eek:

Kids fetched them back or the ex thought you haven't got enough to do so 3 dogs won't be an issue? (oh I still miss the rolling eyes smilie this form used to have :D)

Either way as I'm sure they're all adorable and the kids will love them, I hope the older ones will help out with them.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    He says he can't have them with him :huh: and brought here when I was out so if I object the children will be really upset. At the moment DS1 is pitching in as is DD2 but I hope he has a plan for when they need feeding 4 times a day because my workplace is half an hour away so I can't nip back. DD2 can cover Thursday as it's her day off from college and my day off is Friday. The puppies are at the tiny sweet, eyes not open stage so not too much trouble but I know it will all change when they can see!
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    OMG at new dogs. Will you have them long term do you think?
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    It's certainly looking that way at the moment although I hope he will reclaim the mother dog as she is temperamental at the best of times and has attcked my dog in the past. At the moment the dog and puppies are in a large dog crate which contains her ( because she would be off racing round the garden given the choice) and makes sure that the puppies are safe too. We take her out into the garden regularly but make sure she's not too long away from the pups. My dog is a gentle soul and quite old now so he is carefully ignoring them. DS1's dog is also a springer but absolutely glued to DS1 so no problem there.

2 pups in a litter is a blessing in one sense because as they get older it will get chaotic. My old dog is a puppy from a litter that our lurcher had 11 years ago so remember the chaos bit well!! On the flip side it will be harder to rehouse them at 8 weeks as there are only 2, unless the ex has a plan to take them back once the messy chaotic part is over????????
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Today has felt more relaxed than the last few Sundays. After lunch I took DS1 for a drive to try and find the farm he'd applied to for the apprenticeship. At least he knows where it is should he get called for interview.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family