Bills help?

I don't know if this is the right place to post.
This is the board i've posted on most since i joined MSE 6 years ago so im hoping i can get some help.

I'm going through our finances and trying to figure out if there is anywhere else we can save. I don't believe there is but it always helps when fresh eyes look at it.

We have 2 cars, one was gifted to us recently, we need 2 as my husband needs his for work and i need one for taking my son to medical appointments as well as my elderly in laws.

Car 1 road tax - £17.93 pm
Car 2 road tax - £11.37 pm
House Insurance - £15.23 pm
Water £16 pm
Green Flag £10.44 pm
Netflix £7.49 (we have no tv aerial so can't watch normal terrestrial tv channels)
Mortgage £879.38 (recently reduced by remortgage fixed deal 2 years)
Dog insurance £17.23 for 2
Gas & Electricity £48
Vodafone £102 :eek: (this is ridiculously high, we 4 contracts, I have reduced them to as low as I can and will cancel all as and when they come up for end of contract - stupidity moment!!)
Car 1 insurance £44.18
Car 2 insurance £16.93
Council tax £110
TV License £12.12 (im not convinced we need a tv license but scared of getting into trouble!)
Phone & Broadband £28.99

Our car that costs the most in tax and insurance is the one which was gifted to us, it's not a fast and furious posh car, it's an S Max 2007 which we need for size. Plus it's diesel so not overly expensive to run.

I feel stupid about the vodafone bill but I can't do anything about that right now, will as soon as i can.

I'm just wondering if there is anywhere else we can cut down on.

Food: £250pm (for 2 adults, 1 child & 2 dogs, 1 child has SN incl food allergies and issues and 1 adult with allergies. This includes all household cleaning products and toiletries).

Diesel & Petrol £65 (we spend more than this but in laws put diesel in when we run them around).

4 yr olds activities £20 pm

Dogs need regular haircuts i have a lady do it cheap but with 2 and needing to have it done regularly its £20pm

I don't allocate for leisure as we try to do free things, I 9/10 times cut all our hair myself.

Prescriptions are adhoc for my OH so wouldn't be worth doing a pre payment thing.
My sons are free.

I haven't ever put the finances out there as I find it really embarrassing, I know there are others worse off, but im trying to make sure we don't ever end up in trouble again. Starting new year on a fresh start.
Everything is always better after a cup of tea

Replies

• BrassicWomanBrassicWoman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    looks pretty spiffy to me - I see in your sig you have just finished an IVA. Congratulations! Does this give you a little "spare"?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • chirpychickchirpychick Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    looks pretty spiffy to me - I see in your sig you have just finished an IVA. Congratulations! Does this give you a little "spare"?

Thank you :) Yes it does! But, alongside the relief, it has left me with this great panic of, now I have to control this by myself and trust myself to never get into trouble again! So I want to make sure that i don't fall back into old habits.

We would really like to be able to achieve a few things in a couple of years and that requires some saving which is also another motivator for staying on track :)
  • BrassicWomanBrassicWoman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    the debt free wannabe forum are the budget experts, I find
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The list seems thorough to me, OP.

Re: Vodafone, see if you can change to Tesco Mobile's one month rolling contract at £10/month, when the time comes.

If you're paying so much for the landline and BB, think about combining it with a digital TV package and cancelling Netflix? There's quite a lot of educational and interesting stuff in even the most basic packages that can be watched on a catch-up function. Whilst I don't advocate spending time in font of the TV, at least it's a source of entertainment and cheaper than going out.

As BrassicWoman says, there's another board for debt management and expenditure, but I'm sure this board can help you with your grocery shopping although £250/month doesn't sound like a great deal to me. Am I right in thinking the pet food costs more than you spend on your LO's meals?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    The list seems thorough to me, OP.

Re: Vodafone, see if you can change to Tesco Mobile's one month rolling contract at £10/month, when the time comes.

If you're paying so much for the landline and BB, think about combining it with a digital TV package and cancelling Netflix? There's quite a lot of educational and interesting stuff in even the most basic packages that can be watched on a catch-up function. Whilst I don't advocate spending time in font of the TV, at least it's a source of entertainment and cheaper than going out.

As BrassicWoman says, there's another board for debt management and expenditure, but I'm sure this board can help you with your grocery shopping although £250/month doesn't sound like a great deal to me. Am I right in thinking the pet food costs more than you spend on your LO's meals?

My dog food costs approx £8 per month (they're only little dogs lol) So not more than what I spend on my LO's meals. His milk alone costs about that a month :rotfl:
    Meals are a real challenge in this house though, finding food that all 3 of us can eat, trying to get my son to actually eat a dinner is a nightmare, so i'm always scouring this board for ideas.
  • SoworriedSoworried Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you cut the dogs hairs if you cut everyone elses?
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Soworried wrote: »

I would need to buy clippers, I have in the past cut their hair but the clippers are always wrecked after 1 or 2 cuts! Then they don't work or get caught up and hurt the poor things.
    I would need to save up to buy some better quality ones which would take a few months, I can't do it at the moment, but it's on the list of things to get when we have the money.

I can't stop the haircuts whilst i save the money up if you know what I mean, so i need to sell some stuff and save the money up - it's something i'll be working towards.
  • Sagz_2Sagz_2 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soworried wrote: »

You can scissor cut most dogs, or get a cheap pair of clippers. It doesn't matter if they look just the same as when the groomer does them, just keep them comfortable.
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • camelot1001camelot1001 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you thought about buying an Amazon Fire Stick or Chromecast for TV? Initial layout is around £30 but will run from wi-fi so you could cancel your Netflix subscription.

Good luck!
  • rosie383rosie383 Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have a look on ebay for the dog hair clippers. People seem to buy them and use them once or twice then flog them. If you are confident enough to cut human hair, then it has to be worth a try with the dogs for a tenner.

As for the phone contract, once you can get rid of it, we have three mobile contracts with Virgin for £26/month for all of us.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides