🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Global Tracker choices

Options
I have been reading, researching and the occasional post on here over the last few months to endeavour to gain sufficient knowledge to start investing in funds, moving forward I now have an IWeb account with some funds to use.
I am well aware my knowledge is limited and have no intention of running before I can walk, consequently for now I have invested a sum in VLS60 and wish to augment this with some further combinations of equity & bond trackers, not wishing to replicate the VLS model I wanted to find a couple of global trackers with a more representative market split.
I had chosen a HSBC FTSE All world index fund C which I was unable to find on iWeb, so I rang IWeb who informed me they would investigate whether this fund met their criteria and promptly rang bak the next day informing me they have accepted the fund and it should be ready to trade the following day.
However on now attempting to trade the fund is not available and on questioning this it seems they have changed their mind.
A couple of questions...is this commonplace ? I appreciate not all platforms will trade all funds but IWeb are a major player and list an array of HSBC funds ?
Looking at the IWeb fund choices they do seem to be missing a few other global tracker funds which is frustrating unless I am just setting my parameters incorrectly ? Seem to be missing some Fidelity and L&G?
I prefer to stick with OEICs for now and restricting 50k per fund house. I will add to these investments as I become more knowledgeable and brave :)

Thanks
HF

Comments

• AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds like you have a serious amount to invest and recognise that you are not an expert by any means.

Is DIY the best option for you or would utilising an IFA be a better alternative?
  • HarryFlatters
    Options
    AlanP wrote: »
    It sounds like you have a serious amount to invest and recognise that you are not an expert by any means.

Is DIY the best option for you or would utilising an IFA be a better alternative?

I've decided to take control myself. I have the time and am accumulating some knowledge, small steps.....
  • MonroeM
    MonroeM Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been reading, researching and the occasional post on here over the last few months to endeavour to gain sufficient knowledge to start investing in funds, moving forward I now have an IWeb account with some funds to use.
    I am well aware my knowledge is limited and have no intention of running before I can walk, consequently for now I have invested a sum in VLS60 and wish to augment this with some further combinations of equity & bond trackers, not wishing to replicate the VLS model I wanted to find a couple of global trackers with a more representative market split.
    I had chosen a HSBC FTSE All world index fund C which I was unable to find on iWeb, so I rang IWeb who informed me they would investigate whether this fund met their criteria and promptly rang bak the next day informing me they have accepted the fund and it should be ready to trade the following day.
    However on now attempting to trade the fund is not available and on questioning this it seems they have changed their mind.
    A couple of questions...is this commonplace ? I appreciate not all platforms will trade all funds but IWeb are a major player and list an array of HSBC funds ?
    Looking at the IWeb fund choices they do seem to be missing a few other global tracker funds which is frustrating unless I am just setting my parameters incorrectly ? Seem to be missing some Fidelity and L&G?
    I prefer to stick with OEICs for now and restricting 50k per fund house. I will add to these investments as I become more knowledgeable and brave :)

Thanks
    HF

IMHO if you are not particularly happy with VLS as your portfolio strategy then, yes I would go for something like 70/80 per cent (depending on your risk level) in an all world tracker such as the hsbc then 20 pe r cent bonds and 10 per cent property?
  • grey_gym_sock
    Options
    on iweb, are you looking at the "fund centre", or logging in and then going to the page where you can place orders to buy funds? they can sometimes give different answers, and the latter is (obviously) the 1 that matters.

iweb customer service is a bit so-so. i'm not sure they always know what they're talking about. i don't think i've asked them to add any funds, but i did ask them to make some funds available to buy in an ISA (when they already had the funds, but not for ISAs) - which they did.

if you're starting with VLS, and want to diversify the fund houses, then you could add multi-asset funds from other funds houses? (e.g. L&G multi-index; blackrock consensus.)

adding separate components (i.e. a world equity tracker, plus some bond funds) is effectively building your own multi-asset mix. which is in a sense the next step up from picking multi-asset funds.
  • HarryFlatters
    Options
    on iweb, are you looking at the "fund centre", or logging in and then going to the page where you can place orders to buy funds? they can sometimes give different answers, and the latter is (obviously) the 1 that matters.

iweb customer service is a bit so-so. i'm not sure they always know what they're talking about. i don't think i've asked them to add any funds, but i did ask them to make some funds available to buy in an ISA (when they already had the funds, but not for ISAs) - which they did.

if you're starting with VLS, and want to diversify the fund houses, then you could add multi-asset funds from other funds houses? (e.g. L&G multi-index; blackrock consensus.)

adding separate components (i.e. a world equity tracker, plus some bond funds) is effectively building your own multi-asset mix. which is in a sense the next step up from picking multi-asset funds.

Thanks for the reply, I am trying both screens, the HSBC fund was showing in the funds but couldn't trade when logged in.
    My hope was to find another multi asset fund which performed consistently and add bonds/gilts/property to attain a 60/40 split, I have some thoughts for the latter but am struggling to find an equity fund tradeable on IWeb, for example I can't find Blackrock Consensus (which is also heavy in UK) or L&G MI, both of which don't really fit the bill as a passive tracker anyway,
    Seems I will need to decide my asset allocations and purchase individually or be brave enough to buy an ETF !
  • MonroeM
    MonroeM Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I am trying both screens, the HSBC fund was showing in the funds but couldn't trade when logged in.
    My hope was to find another multi asset fund which performed consistently and add bonds/gilts/property to attain a 60/40 split, I have some thoughts for the latter but am struggling to find an equity fund tradeable on IWeb, for example I can't find Blackrock Consensus (which is also heavy in UK) or L&G MI, both of which don't really fit the bill as a passive tracker anyway,
    Seems I will need to decide my asset allocations and purchase individually or be brave enough to buy an ETF !

I personally favour building my own multi asset portfolio mainly with an all world tracker with some other bond/property funds or trackers mainly because I feel VLS, L&G and Blackrock have too much UK in their asset allocation. I know it's the next step up but surely IMHO you want to invest in area's that you believe are right for you?
  • fabsaver
    fabsaver Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Halifax/iWeb platform does seem to be particularly poor at offering funds that can be purchased on other platforms. The customer service staff don't seem to be able to offer any consistent and logical explanation of why a specific fund isn't available on their platform. In my experience there seems to be a lot of confusion over which funds they classify as 'dirty'. I can only suggest that you keep on at them, as I see no reason why they shouldn't offer that HSBC All World Index fund.

Ultimately they can make a business decision to sell or not sell whatever they want I suppose. I only stick with them because they're cheap, but certainly the phrase 'you get what you pay for' is apt.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Options
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • HarryFlatters
    Options
    Monroe, thanks for persevering :) Its finding an all world tracker on IWeb that I'm struggling with, I am waiting for them to come back to me with the reasons for not accepting the HSBC fund. May just bite the bullet and set out funds for each region.
    The link in the post above is good in its asset proportions, just trying to use OIECs rather than ETFs as a newbie for probably a misaligned sense of security.
    Good to hear its not just me struggling with IWeb occasionally, you only get what you pay for I guess
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Options

In terms of income funds then trackers seem to perform fairly poorly.

I've got the vanguard uk version and it's underperformed in its sector, it's maybe an area where managers can anticipate dividend cuts and capital drops from issues like dividend cover, cash flow etc whereas most trackers just focus on a particular yield.

It's very heavy in uk given predominance of uk stocks, my default is to use passives but income is an area where managers seem to have an edge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport