Recommendation for economic home printer

Options
I have been using Epson printers for years, as I used to do a lot of photography. However, these days my printer is mostly used for printing homework, and other random docs. Ink is expensive.

I am looking for a printer, maybe a B&W one, that is cheapish and has really cheap ink, and reliable, and amazing too!

Any ideas?

Comments

• castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Same for me. Mine is on the blink, the scan function has disappeared. So many in the shops. Bluetooth this, wifi that. I want B&W/cheap ink, like you
    Any ideas folks ?
  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 December 2016 at 2:02PM
    Options
    Probably need to look at a low cost laser then ...

Sold via the same model as the inkjets,
    i.e. cheap, £40 ish, usually with a starter toner cartridge
    In future you can choose to buy manufacturer consumables, or cheaper clones, or just buy another printer

Had a number of samsungs myself

LINK
  • jonbey
    jonbey Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 December 2016 at 3:17PM
    Options
    At the IT auctions I used to go to until recently, Northern Realisation Auctions (https://www.realnorth.co.uk) there are usually a few dozen HP P3005DN office mono laser printers that usually sell for around a tenner or less with many barely or never used and you can get third party toners for them that'll do over 13,000 sheets for around £50.

I bought one 2 years ago which had only ever been turned on to be configured for £10 - if you attend the auction you can hook the printer up to print out a status page if there's not one already with it which is how I know it had only printed out a few sheets in its lifetime. At a following auction I bought a high capacity third party toner cartridge for £5 because the non-genuine ones go for nothing at auctions. Because its a business grade one it'll just spew paper out all day long without any problems.
  • castle96
    Options
    thanks. But Bolton is a long way from me
    Suprised at how few black only/inkjet/all in ones, there are.
  • letsbehonest
    letsbehonest Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I converted to a cheapo mono samsung laser printer in 2015 and still running on the supplied catridge. Fed up with inkjet ink prices.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    +1 for a cheap B&W Samsung if you must buy new (but refuse to pay for the bells & whistles, the price drops like a rock).
    Also still running the cartridge it came with.

Used to mind office printers - the old HP Deskjets took spectacular workloads & only required mains & paper month in month out. The users were far more work...

Husband still sniffy (occasionally) that he can't print colour photos but he can, if he takes them to Asda like the rest of us.

If you can get to Which, (ask at a library?) their best buys are worth considering.
  • castle96
    Options
    thanks. So please recommend a Mono Samsung Laser ALL IN one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts