Trying Twitter in 2017...Couple of Questions please :)

I've hovered on Twitter for a while, not really getting it at all but I'm going to bite the bullet in 2017 and try it out. I totally get facebook and have been quite successful with winning, but I've been on Twitter today and need to know how to do the following:-

How do I get the posts/feeds to come up as most recent? I only follow around 120 companies/people but I'm looking at it now & it's in a completely random order - one is 22 hrs old, the next one is July 2016 then the next one is 5 hrs old....on fb I always click most recent and it puts it in the right order.....

More importatnly for me, on fb I often save the link and go back to it at night when I have more time to enter. Someobdy told me I can click a star to save things but I dont have a star, I have a heart. Is there any way of saving things to like so you can check it out properly later?

Are there any "must-do" tips or things I need to be aware of? I really don't think I'm going to like it, but with each new year that starts I like to try new comping ideas/techniques. Any help would be greatfully appreciated, many thanks :)

Comments

• Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 December 2016 at 7:12PM
    dizzyc wrote: »

How do I get the posts/feeds to come up as most recent? I only follow around 120 companies/people but I'm looking at it now & it's in a completely random order - one is 22 hrs old, the next one is July 2016 then the next one is 5 hrs old....on fb I always click most recent and it puts it in the right order.....

They usuallly do come up in order. I suspect that the ones not in order are tweets that have been retweeted by somebody you follow, so if you follow person A and they retweet a tweet that person B posted back in July, you will see the tweet at the time person A retweeted it, not the time person B posted it.

More importatnly for me, on fb I often save the link and go back to it at night when I have more time to enter. Someobdy told me I can click a star to save things but I dont have a star, I have a heart. Is there any way of saving things to like so you can check it out properly later?

I used to have a star for 'favourite' or 'like' but now I have a heart. You can click on the heart and you will then see it in posts that you have favourited or liked, but this may not help you much if you want to go back to it later, as a lot of companies as you to 'like' as well as retweet, so you might get a load of them. If I really want to go back to something later, I would save it in bookmarks on my browser.
    Are there any "must-do" tips or things I need to be aware of? I really don't think I'm going to like it, but with each new year that starts I like to try new comping ideas/techniques. Any help would be greatfully appreciated, many thanks :)

Superlucky Di has a guide on her blog to twitter comps. Have a look at that. Good luck.

http://superlucky.me/2015/02/enter-twitter-competitions/

By the way, twitter is quick to do but you could enter thousands without winning, since they are quick and easy to do and loads of people enter them.
  • Set up a list (tells you how on superlucky) and make it private. Add any compers and then work through what they are retweeting. I suggest clicking on the company then retweeting rather than rt a rt. Feel free to add me :) Also competition database is useful, filter by tw comps only and click away xxx
    total wins 2013 £5500 2014 £7500 2015 £23,900 2016 £10,650 2017 £13,040 2018 £10,620 2019 £10,115 2020 £3970.00
    ITV Winners Club Member #131
  • xoxlauraxox
    xoxlauraxox Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    I didn't realise twitter filtered retweets. I used to win on RT competitions at first then it stopped... wonder if it's just coincidence or if my tweets are being filtered.
    Thanks to everyone that posts :T:money:
  • Marg2k8
    I didn't realise twitter filtered retweets. I used to win on RT competitions at first then it stopped... wonder if it's just coincidence or if my tweets are being filtered.

I think it is simply more people entering. I too used to win on there quite a lot, but now hardly win any. I'm not sure what you mean by 'filtered retweets' (unless this is something superlucky Di mentioned.) I just meant it shows retweeets in your timeline whenever they are retweeted by someone you follow.
  • xoxlauraxox
    xoxlauraxox Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Marg2k8 wrote: »
    I think it is simply more people entering. I too used to win on there quite a lot, but now hardly win any. I'm not sure what you mean by 'filtered retweets' (unless this is something superlucky Di mentioned.) I just meant it shows retweeets in your timeline whenever they are retweeted by someone you follow.[/QUO

It was something I read on the Superluck Di link about twitter filtering tweets if all people are doing is retweeting competitions. I'm going to make more of an effort to post some none competition tweets now
    Thanks to everyone that posts :T:money:
  • Marg2k8
    I see. Yes - I think promoters do filter out people who simply use twitter for entering competitions, even if the terms and conditions say it is random. People tend to win more if they interact with the company or if they seem to have a genuine interest in the product. For example, a golf competition would be more likely to be won by someone who was obviously a keen golfer. I try and post other stuff, but most of my tweets are comps. Probably why I don't win much. LOL.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Bear in mind TW comps often close quickly so may not be open to check out "later" and saving them would probably take as long as entering most of them anyway.
  • smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How do I get the posts/feeds to come up as most recent?

This is an option you can change in your settings, on the website go to settings and scroll down to where it says Timeline: show me the best tweets first. If this is ticked untick it and save. You can also do this on your mobile app.
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I think I've had 2 wins from Twitter in 2 years ... but they're so quick and easy to enter, (In my opinion) it's a bit daft not to enter them.

That doesn't answer any of your questions, just validating your intention to start doing them more :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure