NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Accessible housing

Not sure if this is the right forum but it's relevant so here it goes.
My husband is physically disabled from birth, he was born with arm malformations on both arms. We've been assessed by an occupational therapist for accessible housing and have been confirmed that due to safety issues surrounding family life (I have back problems and sometimes can't get up the stairs so I have to sleep downstairs and my husband has to put our two small children who are 17 months and 7 months to bed and he can't carry them safely, he risks dropping them as he can't carry them and hold the rail) we need a bungalow. It's only been two months since we were assessed and my back problems have somehow been aggravated, they used to be sporadic, only lasting a couple of days at a time but for the last two weeks it's constant and I'm on strong painkillers with no idea if or when it's going to let up. I'm requesting a scan in the new year to see if it'll be permanent. So my husband is doing the bedtimes every day since it started and I'm desperately worried he's going to fall with one of the kids.
Would it be inappropriate to ask for an update so soon after the assessment? They said the list can be anywhere from two weeks to two years, it's not a bidding system, it's a case of taking what you're allocated unless there's genuine reasons for not accepting. There isn't a huge amount of people on the list, we were number 121 to go on the accessible list compared to the general housing list of 8000 in my town.
Would it be a good idea to ring for an update and explain the circumstances, then update them after the results of my scan to prove we're in greater need than previously assessed? Or is that a bit too forward and should I just wait for the call and hope for the best? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    robots wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum but it's relevant so here it goes.
    My husband is physically disabled from birth, he was born with arm malformations on both arms. We've been assessed by an occupational therapist for accessible housing and have been confirmed that due to safety issues surrounding family life (I have back problems and sometimes can't get up the stairs so I have to sleep downstairs and my husband has to put our two small children who are 17 months and 7 months to bed and he can't carry them safely, he risks dropping them as he can't carry them and hold the rail) we need a bungalow. It's only been two months since we were assessed and my back problems have somehow been aggravated, they used to be sporadic, only lasting a couple of days at a time but for the last two weeks it's constant and I'm on strong painkillers with no idea if or when it's going to let up. I'm requesting a scan in the new year to see if it'll be permanent. So my husband is doing the bedtimes every day since it started and I'm desperately worried he's going to fall with one of the kids.
    Would it be inappropriate to ask for an update so soon after the assessment? They said the list can be anywhere from two weeks to two years, it's not a bidding system, it's a case of taking what you're allocated unless there's genuine reasons for not accepting. There isn't a huge amount of people on the list, we were number 121 to go on the accessible list compared to the general housing list of 8000 in my town.
    Would it be a good idea to ring for an update and explain the circumstances, then update them after the results of my scan to prove we're in greater need than previously assessed? Or is that a bit too forward and should I just wait for the call and hope for the best? Thanks in advance.
    You can ring, there's nothing saying you can't. However, they can only offer you a sutiable home when one becomes available. I was assessed by an OT 3 years ago for mobility problems. The home that i was privately renting was no longer suitable and all the adaptions they could have done were done. My OT contacted my local council, filled out the relevant forms for a property more suitable for me. I was told it could be a LONG wait as properties like this don't come about very often. I'm sure this would apply to all councils. About 3 weeks later i had a call from my council saying they'd found a house and i would be interviewed along with 2 other people. At the end of this the housing person would then choose the most suitable person. That person was me. 1 month after that i'd moved into the adapted house. Whether you do have more proof from the scan you talk about, it doesn't really matter. They can't offer you a more suitable house till something becomes available. I was told these type of properties are much harder to get than any other. I'm sure this would include all councils. Good luck and i hope you don't have to wait too long.
  • I don't know what you mean by back problems. I have arthritis and also back spasms. I was referred to a pain clinic, which involved a quick ten minute assessment by a physio, told I had lower back pain (which i disagree with its rib cage level) and that I needed to do back strengthening exercises. Was a total waste of time. Months later I'm in pain every single day.

Paid for physio at a sports clinic (£40 for an hour), she said my vertebrae were practically fused, did some pushing and prodding (firmly lol but nothing compared to my back spasms). Following this I had three pain free days, the first for months. I need to go back every week for a few weeks (god knows how I afford it but will have to find a way) and do some exercises to increase flexibility in my spine.

In one session, more was acheived than with weeks of the back pain clinic. Wish I could get this on the NHS.

Might be worth considering if what I've said rings any bells. Back pain is really bad.., been offered morphine for mine (refused). I have to be fairly active as I have two kids with ASD so it really does cause problems at times. I'm going to be trying yoga as well. The NHS seems to offer very limited help, and be a bit carried away with something that is useful for some conditions that cause back pain, but not all.

Chiropractors can be good too.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    35.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    robots wrote: »
    My husband is physically disabled from birth, he was born with arm malformations on both arms. We've been assessed by an occupational therapist for accessible housing and have been confirmed that due to safety issues surrounding family life (I have back problems and sometimes can't get up the stairs so I have to sleep downstairs and my husband has to put our two small children who are 17 months and 7 months to bed and he can't carry them safely, he risks dropping them as he can't carry them and hold the rail) we need a bungalow.

Is it possible to fit a stair lift? That may be a quicker solution than waiting for a bungalow.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The council can only offer properties which become vacant and cannot move someone out of their home, to let someone else move in.

Also, as there are several (though not relative to the general waiting list) people waiting, any property is likely to have a few suitable candidates and the OP could lose out to someone who has a condition known to be permanent.

Perhaps a stair lift would be more forthcoming if permanence is shown. Some back conditions do improve, while others get no better or deteriorate.

By the way there are stronger painkillers, which work like morphine, but don't make you drowsy. ( I use one).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum