2017 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Decluttering bathroom today, I found four packs of individual shampoo and conditioner, 2 of each bought 2 for 50p in poundland last year sometime. There are 24 in a pack, so for £2 I have enough to last almost a year. Also enough handmade soap for the year. Wont buy anymore till its gone.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sun is shining so all ready for a morning of charity shop mooching, put coat on then realised I cant use my bus pass until 9.30 so will have to wait another 20 mins. Bus fare is so expensive so wouldn't be worth going if didn't use the pass.
    Slimming World at target
  • danni.yelly
    Options
    So I was £40 over budget for the food shopping in January.
    Im planning really hard to try a little batch cooking to get the costs down and limiting meals out as they seem to have been the culprit! (a tea here and sandwich there certainly adds up!)

I was most pleased that I wasted just half a pint of milk in the food shop (I usually throw a few items away and get really annoyed).
    Does anyone have some good uses of milk near to date?

Anyway, cooker broke last week so that's going to put us back a whack! Keeping my eye out on gumtree for any good deals so fingers crossed for a good deal. Got some bits to sell on ebay so hopefully that might fund some of the cooker cost.

Hope everyones doing well so far.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017: Living on £5,000 a year
    Frugal Living Challenge 2019: Living on £5,000 a year
    Debt Free Wannabe by August 2020 - Debt: £7850.16 / £7650.16 - July 2020!
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You could make some custard or white sauce to use in a meal. It could sit in the fridge for a day or two and just be reheated when needed.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I just thought of a nice filling treat for kids, good old fashioned banana custard!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    So I was £40 over budget for the food shopping in January.
    Im planning really hard to try a little batch cooking to get the costs down and limiting meals out as they seem to have been the culprit! (a tea here and sandwich there certainly adds up!)

I was most pleased that I wasted just half a pint of milk in the food shop (I usually throw a few items away and get really annoyed).

Anyway, cooker broke last week so that's going to put us back a whack! Keeping my eye out on gumtree for any good deals so fingers crossed for a good deal. Got some bits to sell on ebay so hopefully that might fund some of the cooker cost.

Hope everyones doing well so far.

scones or soda bread every time here ;)
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Frizzlef
    Frizzlef Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if you have kids but my kids love angel delight so I tend to do that when we have a surplus of milk. Also you use a pint in tuna pasta bake so we tend to have that when we have a lot of milk.
    Do you definitely have to buy a new oven. Ours stopped working last year. We googled it and there was a brilliant website that said what part we needed to buy and how to fit it using a step by step video!! Think we fixed it for about £60. Worth a try if the cooker isn't too old!
    Grocery challenge- feb 2015- £133.07/£250
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm usually the other way - trying to eke it out for last day :rotfl:
    However, I would make some savoury sauce and freeze it. It looks a bit strange when you defrost it as it separates - just give it a good whisk and then whisk again as reheating and it will come back together. Then add whatever such as cheese and voila ;)
    HTH
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd like to join in too!! I can't start properly till March though as I've got a number of unavoidable and rarely needed expenses this month which would completely skew my figures but once they are done, I really want to get on the frugal wagon with a vengeance!! My outgoings are going to be higher than many peoples as I have chosen to live in a certain way (I'm vegan and try to buy as ethically as possible so no using supermarkets= no reduced stuff and my toiletries/household stuff is eye wateringly expensive!! :eek:) but within these parameters, I want to be as frugal as possible!

I am going to grow as much as is possible this year - I have loads of seeds already from last year but didn't do anything for a variety of reasons - I am going to minimise the amount I spend on food by using up all the stock I currently have (cupboard and freezer inventory required!!) and I am going to try to reduce expenditure wherever possible.

I need to do a new budget too - I have a basic budget which I am being pretty good with, but I'm fairly certain that I could do better....I know that I spend far too much on stuff that I don't really need (alcohol, crisps and - because of poor planning- vast amounts of soya milk for work!! :o)

I'm looking forward to getting lots of ideas!!
  • Frizzlef
    Options
    Had a lovely family party for my dds first birthday today. Loads of food leftover so I know what we will be eating for next few days! I decided to only get her one gift and put some money in her trust fund as she doesn't really need anything. She has been thoroughly spoilt by the family!!! Haven't added the weekends spends to my diary and I am too tired now so will do that tomorrow!!
    Grocery challenge- feb 2015- £133.07/£250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport