Savings For Kids Education

I would like to maximize my capital. I have £32,000 in savings which I want to put away for the kid's education. I will need to start paying out in 6 years time. Currently, I have £12,000 in ISA's (@5.1%)and £20,000 in a Halifax online A/C (@4.9% Gross). I see that Alliance & Leicester is offering 5.35% Gross for online accounts, so it is worth changing from the Halifax. At each tax year, I intend to open new ISA's with my wife to maximize the tax free element. I pay 40% tax, but my wife does not. I want to keep the money virtually risk free. Is my plan sound or can anyone offer a better plan?

https://www.beachesrus.co.uk

Comments

• A noble aim.
    How many kids and what are their ages?
    At 16 a child can have an ISA
    The amount going into a cash ISA is intended to be reduced to £1000 per annum from April 2006 I think.

You can improve a little on the current rates of interest if you can bother with chasing higher rates from time to time as often the better rates are temporary and have other disadvantages.

If you are not doing it all ready "Credit Card Sharping" can become a useful pastime.
    As indeed can reading MSE's News Emails.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • 2 kids aged 5 & 9. The first will be funded from monthly surplus. The 5 year old will be funded from the capital.

I have thought about chasing the short term interest rates, but it seems a big hassle to gain about £30 per year.

Bad news about the ISA if you are correct. Is there a planned alternative?

Regarding credit card sharping, yes I do that avidly!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    CTF is introduced in April with a £1000 pa tax free allowance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I think you are on the right lines.
    There may be worse news in due course re ISAs.
    When they were introduced they were only guarantedd to last for 10 years. They may last longer or they may not. Rich people get more benefit from them than poor people.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    After ISAs, any spare cash would generate more interest if it were in your wife's name, only. As she is not a taxpayer, she can have the interest paid gross.

You would effectively have to give the capital and the account must be in her name only. If this doesn't cause you a problem, then you would benefit from all the income that would otherwise have been deducted.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • You would effectively have to give the capital and the account must be in her name only.

The account does not have to be in the wife's name only.
    The Inland Revenue makes an assumption that money in joint accounts is owned equally but you can make a declaration that this is not the case on an Inland Revenue Form ( R17 I think).

( Not legal or financial advice just opinion )
  • Thanks for the replies, my wife does pay tax but at the lower rate. All capital is already in her name, but I will look into the R17.
  • You can see a copy of Inland Revenue Form 17

By Clicking HERE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills