Declined for Amex 0% 18 months CANNOT APPEAL(?1)

Options
Hi all,

About a week ago I decided to apply for an Amex Rewards card with 0%Purchases for 18 months that they offer through a couple comparison sites.

Being an Amex customer (Preferred Rewards Gold Card, Amex BA) with a good credit history I thought I would get accepted but I got declined.

I have been waiting for the declined letter to arrive through the post but it has been delayed due to the Christmas holidays so I called the New Accounts team and asked them if their decision could be overturned or if I coudl appeal it, the lady on the phone said Amex will NEVER overturn a decision and that I should wait at least 3 months and then apply again!

Has anyone ever appealed in writing to Amex and have their decision overturned?

Thank you!

Comments

• A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe there is a 2 card limit or the amount of credit available is the most they can offer?
  • B19JON
    B19JON Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    When you applied for this new card did it ask you to enter the details of your other card?
  • ryuuoo
    ryuuoo Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    There is a limit of 2 credit cards (of which I currently have only one = BA) and 2 charge cards (of which I already also hold only one: the Gold Preferred Rewards. So I don't think this would be it...

Yes, when I applied I was sure to link it to my current cards.

Weird.

All they keep saying is declined due to 'internal scoring'
  • guesswho2000
    Options
    How long had you held the existing Amex cards? If only a short time, that could be an issue. Do you have a balance on the BA card? Do you use them regularly?

I suspect it's just what they said, internal scoring - I took out the Gold Rewards credit card a few months ago, and they gave me it, but with a terrible limit - however, I held the Platinum and Gold charge cards, and Platinum Casback and BA Avios credit card at the time, no outstanding balances (other than monthly spend), but I suspect I was at the limit of what they were willing to give me. They did shuffle the limits around when I asked though.

I moved all of the BA limit to the Gold and closed it, as its of no use to me outside the UK, but I did want the option of keeping my MR points alive if I cancel the Charge cards.
  • seatbeltnoob
    Options
    These promotional rates are ususally used to draw in NEW customers. You cannot be an exisiting customer and apply for a new Amex card with speical offer.

I remember a BT deal where it said explicitly on the ad itself "not for existing Tesco credit card customers"
  • eset12345
    Options
    how much of a credit line do you already have with them and how much is the balance?

will likely have more of an effect than anything else.

why does everyone think they have the right to appeal a decision? credit isn't a right.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 29 December 2016 at 1:22AM
    Options
    eset12345 wrote: »
    why does everyone think they have the right to appeal a decision? credit isn't a right.

it's MSE remember.

Cant even be bothered to post a link to the offer as it's not a publicised promotion. I reckon on the top 5 points of the offer small print it must say offer not open to exisiting amex customers. I'm 99% sure of this. But OP being OP with an entitled "how can I appeal" attitude, they want everything including requiring forum support peoople to locate the offer smallprint for themselves.

I give up.
  • guesswho2000
    Options
    These promotional rates are ususally used to draw in NEW customers. You cannot be an exisiting customer and apply for a new Amex card with speical offer.

I remember a BT deal where it said explicitly on the ad itself "not for existing Tesco credit card customers"

Yes you can, Amex UK will let you have intro offers on additional products, providing you haven't held an Amex card with the same reward 'currency' (Avios, MR, Cashback or Starpoints) in the preceding six months.

In any case, this is irrelevant, as OP is questioning an outright decline, no deprivation of an introductory offer - Amex will let you have more than one with the same 'currency' (say Gold and Platinum charge, which both collect MR points), but will only give the intro offer on one.

If approved, I'd expect them to honour the 0% intro period, as they don't state that they won't, though wouldn't give any bonus MR points (the card the OP refers to earns these), as they hold the Gold Charge card already. 0% intro periods aren't that common with Amex issued cards, so I've got no knowledge of exactly how that works, however.
  • ryuuoo
    ryuuoo Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your logical, unbiased and understanding reply.

- Unlike others who replied who preferred to attack me for simply asking a question. I wonder how many friends you both have!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure