Cabot not updating Experian

Options
A few years back I had a ding dong with Barclaycard about a default date. They eventually agreed to amend the default date to 2010 and it has now fallen off my Callcredit (noddle) and equifax reports. But it's still wrongly reported on my Experian report as 2013. The account is now owned by Cabot and I was with Payplan but they booted me as I didn't meet their 'requirements' so now I haven't paid anything for a few months. So Cabot have not updated the defaulted account since september.

I want the default date corrected and the account off my experian file. Can anyone tell me what the best way is to go about this? Through Cabot (who are probably a little cross with me), Barclaycard, or Experian? I guess it's Cabot who are sending in the wrong updates.

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    As you have failed to pay anything for a few months surely no update is preferable to a few months of no payment?
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    As you have failed to pay anything for a few months surely no update is preferable to a few months of no payment?

If the account defaulted over 6 years ago it would no longer be showing on their file at all so it wouldn't matter what they've been up to (or not in this case) recently.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Stewart_78, if Cabot have the wrong default date recorded on your Experian credit report, contact us with the details and we can raise a query on your behalf. While we do this we will make sure that the entry is marked as disputed. Kind regards Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Stewart_78
    Options
    Thanks Neil I will. I have a letter from Cabot promising to update the default date (which they did on the other 2 reports).

In terms of mot paying anything, all my (correct) defaults are over 6 years old so none of the accounts should show on my file. I haven't paid them as I want this sorted first, they we'll negotiate a settlement and they are open to that. I just need my file to be correct and not paying is about the only leverage I have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure