edited 28 December 2016 at 7:12AM in Old Style MoneySaving
28 replies 3.2K views
nmlcnmlc Forumite
4.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 28 December 2016 at 7:12AM in Old Style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Wednesday 28 December 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, although he's hoping for an early finish in these 3 days between Xmas and New Year. I'm up, showered and dressed, now eating brekkie whilst on here, I'm going into work also, an early start as opening with my Supervisor. I'll be stopping off to buy milk on the way so at least we can get a hot drink. Boys still in their pits, although DS1's car is in the way - so he'll be getting up to move it, but I imagine he'll then go back to bed.

Still dark here, but very cold and frosty.

Lunch yesterday was LO's - gammon, turkey, pork pie, boiled eggs, hot new potatoes, cheese, salad (for me) etc - all the gammon has now been eaten, the remaining turkey is now bagged up and in the freezer, the turkey stock is bagged, labelled and in the freezer, I had a sort through the fridge so I know what we have left, I want to try to make meals from it so nothing/as little as possible gets thrown away - that's the aim for 2017, spend as little as possible on food and throw nothing away, whilst eating good wholesome food. I'm not sure what we will be eating for dinner tonight, I had thought of fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg - but that's all frozen food sitting quite happily in the freezer, I have fresh food that needs eating/using up, and I need meal ideas for the next 2 nights also, so fish could be one of those. I'll have all day to think about it, so will use that time.

Yesterday was another lazy day, although we did get several loads of washing done, and most dried on the airer/TD. I'm only at work all day today, then off tomorrow and Friday, but I'm working New Years Eve until 12 noon then off until Tuesday 2 January.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Replies

• trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :santa2:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I opened the windows wide yesterday – the front ones weren't open for long, Scampi went into a barking frenzy every time he heard someone go past the house! The house had a good airing and felt nice and fresh. I lit a couple of scented candles in the afternoon, sat down and was happy to find Indiana Jones on the telly :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The stars looked lovely at 5am :D It's frosty and very cold at the moment, I feel like making myself a nest on the sofa and staying there all day, lol. I ended up doing three loads of washing yesterday, it's all dry now so I'll put it away in a mo. I have another load to be washed this morning. I want to go throught the fridge and freezer and start writing a shopping list. I'm going to put my new plates in the cupboard, I'm not sure what to do with the old chipped ones – maybe use them as saucers for plant pots outside?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The second Indiana Jones film is on this afternoon, I'm going to make sure I'm sat down in time for it :D[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • LaineyTLaineyT Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Cold and frosty here this morning but the clear skies mean we can see the sun rise behind the old barn.

Yesterday was tough, understandably Mum sleeps a lot but the pain wakes her and if she thinks we are not looking she is doubled over, after a bit of chasing an increase in morphine was confirmed by the hospice but we are starting to feel overwhelmed with it all. Our main contact at the hospice is visiting tomorrow so will discuss options then.
    Some of SIL's family are visiting today so will leave them in peace, think we will head into town for breakfast and if not too busy have a little mooch around the sales, My slippers are falling apart and could do with replacing.
    Have a good day everyone, take care all x
  • edited 28 December 2016 at 8:00AM
    TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 December 2016 at 8:00AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Blooming 'eck it's a cold un this morning. I could see every star in the sky when I got up and there is a thick covering of frost everywhere.

The lurgy is still hanging over me. I keep getting fooled into thinking I am feeling better and then it sweeps over me and knocks me for six again and I just slump on the sofa and sleep. I found the energy to tackle the fridge yesterday and lots of bits and pieces have gone in the freezer, quite a bit got eaten yesterday and there are just bitsa this and bitsa that left to eat up today. There is still a cupboard full of mince pies, Xmas cake, pannetone, stollen etc left and, as every year, I am kicking myself for making/buying so much.

DS has to be back at work this afternoon so Mr TA is running him back home this morning with his bag of clothes and numerous bags and boxes of presents. He came over Xmas Eve on the train but no way could he go back on it so laden up with stuff. I may go with them just to get out of the house and for a change of scene. I'll see what food I can palm off onto him though unfortunately, unlike me, he hasn't got a particularly sweet tooth!

GERS I think gin must be the in present this time. I got a bottle of mediterranean gin given though yet to give it a try. In fact we haven't drunk much of anything this time thanks to our bugs, as neither of us could face it. (Unfortunately it didn't stop me eating!!) Loads of bottles left unopened which is a first!

COXY my heart goes out to you, your sister and family. I cannot imagine how you must all be feeling. LAINEY too, you and your DM are in my thoughts. ((HUGS)) to all the other poorlies and sad too. Take care all and have a good day if you can xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Morning all
    Up with the larks as the dog is not well again will be calling the vet as soon as they are open I fear that this may be his last trip as his symptoms are the same as another dog we had he is quite old for a standard daschund so i am quite worried but fingers crossed . He is 16 and we didn't get him from the rescue until he was 10 so i knew it would never be a long relationship but never the less he has wormed his way into our hearts x
    Right now for the OS , all left overs have been eaten and yesterday i managed to get quite a few meat joints in As*a when i popped in for some salad bits turkey crowns reduced from £19 to £5 and Extra special pork loin joints £2 as well as a large ES gammon in a foil tin for £4 I am never that lucky usually it was surprisingly quiet as i went after giving blood at about 10.30am . We are avoiding the sales as we don't need anything and i can't face the crowds at Lakeside . Today will be spent indoors tidying up as DD2 is going to her BF to go up to Scotland for new year so just DH and DD1 at home DS is in Australia so very quiet here at the moment.
    Right better get dressed and get on
    Hugs to all who need them i know there are a few of you right now
    Have a great day whatever you are up to and please drive safely in this horrid fog x
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone.

It's very cloudy here so no stars in sight. Think it's going to be like that all day, murky and dull.

I'm going down to Glasgow this morning for a few days. It'll be a hectic time as I'm sure my DM will have a few jobs lined up for me. Never mind, it'll be lovely to see her and am looking forward to our 'Christmas lunch'.

Yesterday I got a washing load out on the line for a while. Then I did a bit of garden tidying with special attention to the small area of paving between the house and the little barn as it was covered in leaves. That got a good scrub with the hard brush.

TA - you could right about the gin. I am partial to a nice G&T now and then thiugh I'll be hard pushed to get through nine bottles. Still, I'm looking forward to trying.

Lainey - my heart is with you and your DM.

Now I must start my day, I have to put away the bedding, empty the DW, run the vacuum over downstairs, pack a wee case, pack the car with rubbish for the tip all before I get off. Doesn't sound much now I've written it down.

Happy Wednesday everyone.
  • newroadaheadnewroadahead Forumite
    921 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Up with the larks this morning, DH went off to work at 4. He is day today and tomorrow, nights Friday and off NYE ( he swappped with someone as we are out NYE.
    Have put the heating on as awaiting electricity board to put in new style meter and DMIL is still living with us and is no good in the cold. She is still in bed where I suspect she will remain until about 10!!

I have been reading everyone's posts over Christmas and can relate to quite a few. Personally I didn't enjoy the day I felt more like a lacky just making all the food and teas and coffees all day than a wife. DH put virtually no thought into my gift and could not understand why I was upset.
    Both he and DMIL sat surrounded by gifts and I had 3. Now I know it makes me sound selfish and there are many people who had nothing but a little but of appreciation for everything I have done and helped with since DFIL passed away last month would have been nice.
    Coupled with a this is the worry of my own Darling dad and step mum who has been allowed home for Christmas.
    Then I learn last Friday DH has invited his family round for New Years day for a games afternoon to say I am fit to burst is an understatement.

For me the only silver lining is it is my DD birthday tomorrow and I am going to see her and DGC. It is a special one and I really hope she likes her gift.

I know this time of year is for families but for me it seems to have been a stream of washing and clearing up both for the house and DMIL. I feel so cruel when I think of some of the poorlies and sad on here and I am sorry for my venting but DH barly listens and doesnt seem to want anything to change at the moment. He says it will be sorted in the New Year when his mum has had an assessment, I would disagree because I think that a far as social services are concerned as long as someone is looking after her they dont have to do anything

Well it no good me moping I hope everyone is ok, thinking of all the poorlies and sad and sending big hugs to all

Much love

NRA
    NewRoadAhead:)
    Debts Sep 2009 £35,000.00:eek:
    Debt Free November 2014 :j:j:j
    Member 51 £1,0000 emergency Fund
    October GC £ /£250.00
  • lonewhitewolflonewhitewolf Forumite
    278 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Morning all x
    Well been reading just not posting a as it's not really be xmas spirit here. Today we say goodbye to my fil so as you can imagine it's very low here.
    Anyhoo just popped in to say hi.
    Coxy thinking of you and yours x
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
  • Hard_Up_HesterHard_Up_Hester Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread NMLC,
    Hugs to those who are ill or stressed.
    NRA, I think you will find that you are correct, social services will just leave everything in your hands, you will have to battle for them to help you.
    My L&M and I are going out today, to the DIY shop, of how exciting, lol.
    DS is calling in later with his GF and I will do a buffet, I'll pop in to the bakers to buy some fresh rolls to go with it.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • camelot1001camelot1001 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning All

Not a bad day here weatherwise, fairly bright and dry - can we have 2 days in a row? The washing is on the pulley, the days are a bit short to be putting it out at the moment.

I'm missing your carols tru!

Had a good day yesterday, went to Glasgow and had a mooch about, bought a pair little boots I had seen in Clarks a while ago that were reduced to £26. Got a couple of T shirts from Primarni that will do for wearing to bed, would have been rude to leave them at £2 each.

Met DD for a quick lunch and got some new towels in the JL sale. DD then informed me that she had forgotten to bring something to wear for a gathering after work so I went to her flat and took her a dress and tights - good old Mum!

Stopped at Ikea on the way home to return some bits I didn't need, glad I did as it came to £40. Sainsburys is next door so had a wander in there and got quite a few sale items, some to put away for next years gifts. I paid with nectar points so £52.64 cost me 14p!

Hope the day goes as best as it can LWW, thinking of you. Also thinking of those with heavy hearts and those not feeling too good.

Have a good day. Take care. XX
  • csarina2csarina2 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning, ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Have not read the posts yet......posted a long message yesterday and it went into the ether.

Quiet day sunny and blue skies again this morning. We managed to get out of bed at 8 am despite me still being awake at 5 am!! I think a Nana nap will be needed later.

Nothing really mad to report, life strolls on as usual........OH has a hospital appointment tomorrow afternoon, hope the Dr is on time otherwise I will be driving home in the dark.

No plans for today. Right going to try and post fingers crossed it does not wipe me out again!!
    Target figure £5,500/£3412.05
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide