My sun tunnel installation

Options
Last week I took off the lens at the base of this Sun tunnel I had installed. I looked up into it and I saw just screws holding sections together and a black material. I assume it was a Velux Sun tunnel as I can remember seeing a Velux box lying around. Anyway, I went and looked at this video of a Velux Sun tunnel installation and it clearly shows gaskets being used to hold the rigid sections together and silver reflective tape used to cover the joins. https://vimeo.com/102235252 Anybody familiar with Velux Sun tunnels and what's happened with mine? Here's a pic:

24e3fd76d1.jpg

Comments

• Private_Church
    Options
    From looking at this thread and your kitchen thread I wouldn't let him near your property again. I don't think he is a qualified Carpenter looking at the standard of workmanship, maybe he slept with one..

He should have used the gaskets and tape to join the sections but used what looks like 40mm Gyproc screws. Not a lot you can do about it now and as long as its not leaking I would leave it alone.

If you need any further Carpentry work carried out I would try and get friends/family/neighbours to recommend someone and ideally see if you can have a look at previous work. Sadly there are a lot of really bad cowboys out there.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Silver foil tape can be bought from screwfix , remove the screws and fit from the tunnel inwards

Given the crap look here I'd be more concerned about the quality of the opening in the roof
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Ader1
    Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Does somebody know if the tunnel sections come in 'rolls' like the core of toilet paper or do they come as sheets which are then made into a 'roll' by linking the long sides to each other? Is that clear?
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They come in rolled tube format .
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Ader1
    Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. What I have there are sheets which have been rolled to make a tube. I don't know why on earth he wouldn't use the proper tubes? Maybe he had something lying around which he thought he would use.......

You can just about make out the joins in those 'tubes'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure