PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is the worst present you received this Christmas..and why?

Ok I know I should be grateful for getting presents at all but this Christmas I am now the proud owner of a big Yardley gift set! I have sulked ever since! To me Yardley is outdated and synonymous with old ladies and something I wouldn't choose for myself.

Following close behind are the lovely red slippers in Size small ( I buy a larger size due to arthritis...do people not notice size?)

And there were the bath salts as well-- now called " bath melts!"

Winge over...anyone else going to join me ....!

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 December 2016 at 11:05AM
    A set of two mugs from my sister, depicting a cartoon that she follows and finds hilarious, and which I find heavy handed and in bad taste. And DH, for whom one of the mugs is destined, feels the same.

But she bought them with love and care so I haven't had the heart to say what I think. I debated with my mother and also here whether I should opt for total honesty, after all she has embarked on a very streamlined and decluttered life, but everybody advises to let it pass. So I will take them back to London then "misplace" them.

I wish everybody could read our Martin's letter about not buying Christmas gifts, it would save so much money, energy, earth resources and heartache!

I asked my family (of origin) not to get me any gifts but they did not hear it.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We don't do pressies so not a problem here :)

We did get a few bottles and boxes of biscuits etc from neighbours as we receive parcels for them all year

However we were clearing out the walk in wardrobe ( junk area) yesterday and found numerous pressies from birthdays and Christmases past, still in their gift bags :rotfl::rotfl:
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We don't do pressies, either. We had to stop any form of present-buying when Mr LW was out of work for eleven months, from September 2002 to August 2003, and we have carefully never re-started.

Caterina in your shoes, the mugs would find their way into the box I keep for things to go to the charity shop. ;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Sounds like those Yardleys products and slippers were "re-gifted":eek: - rather than having been bought specifically for you in the first place.

Admitted I also think Yardleys cosmetics are for old people and I would feel quite upset personally at receiving them - even if I honestly thought they had actually just bought them deliberately specifically for me. Better a small cheap present that really has been bought specifically for you (as presents should be!) and that shows the giver really has been perceptive enough about you/cared enough about you to figure out what your specific tastes/interests/etc. are.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    i have had some belters from my dh over the years i told him not to bother this year...best one ever was 10 bottles of conditioner in a flavour i didnt like :cool:
    onwards and upwards
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Cotton blend socks from an aunt who has known for 30 years that I can only wear pure cotton.

It's a job to compose a thank you letter. :)
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think I beat the lot. I needed a press button thingie for the top of the loo but the plumber had to buy the whole inside for the cistern so after fixing the flush mechanism he presented me with rest of the bits as a pressie ( well it is Christmas ). :rotfl:
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    grunnie wrote: »
    I think I beat the lot. I needed a press button thingie for the top of the loo but the plumber had to buy the whole inside for the cistern so after fixing the flush mechanism he presented me with rest of the bits as a pressie ( well it is Christmas ). :rotfl:

Oh, that's not so bad. Keep those bits in case you need spare parts. Those push button valves are always playing up.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 December 2016 at 7:26PM
    How's this for beating the lot, one year DH promised to give me the video of our sewers for Christmas. Luckily it was a joke or he would very much be my ex by now!

Edited to add: I just remembered that one year a friend gave me, packaged for Christmas and to go under the tree......a plastic dustpan. Without the brush.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 December 2016 at 1:01AM
    Sounds like those Yardleys products and slippers were "re-gifted":eek: - rather than having been bought specifically for you in the first place.

Admitted I also think Yardleys cosmetics are for old people and I would feel quite upset personally at receiving them - even if I honestly thought they had actually just bought them deliberately specifically for me. Better a small cheap present that really has been bought specifically for you (as presents should be!) and that shows the giver really has been perceptive enough about you/cared enough about you to figure out what your specific tastes/interests/etc. are.

Sadly I think they were bought expressly for me and to add insult to injury they are now at half price on the Boots website! Also was given some M & S peaches in brandy syrup...something else I wouldn`t care for! They are definitely this season!

I totally agree that the best present are those that are sourced with love...the book you cant get or knowing your favourite colour or even something home made ( knitting etc)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure