PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Tuesday 27 December 2016

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 27 December 2016 at 9:26AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Tuesday 27 December 206

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and myself up and enjoying first cuppas, DH has just eaten a bowl of HM cheesecake and cream for his breakfast - I love it but couldn't face it for breakfast, I've had my obligatory bowl of porridge! Boys still in their pits.

Xmas Eve at mum's went off well and the food was lovely, my desserts were well received. Xmas Day was lovely, we were all very lucky and spoilt with loads of prezzies, lunch went very well - one of my better efforts, and I managed not to overcook the turkey. The fridge is still full to bursting with food, so that will be sorted today. After lunch on Xmas Day I started stripping the meat from the bone, put it all in a pot with an onion and veg and got a good pot full of stock, that will go in the freezer, and I'll use it to make soup - probably when we've run out of money before the end of the month in January - as I got paid early and it's 6 weeks before I get paid again. DH get's paid weekly though so it's not so bad as there's money coming in each week. I'll also be sorting through the cupboards etc and writing a menu plan - I certainly need to start trying different/new meals. We have a mahoosive pile of chocolates, biscuits etc, we normally get a box of biscuits as a gift so last year I didn't get any and of course for some reason we didn't receive any, so I've bought some this year, and we've been given 3 boxes! At least we've got something to go with a cuppa! We've all been very spoilt.

Today the plan is just to chill, we're thinking we may go and visit DH's grandad at the weekend but today we won't be doing much - DH and myself are back to work tomorrow, so I'll be needing to organise some pack ups for me and DH. I could visit a SM to buy bread - but I do have some part baked rolls, so may well make do with those and make the milk stretch, the menfolk here never notice when I water the milk down! I will be doing some food shopping on Friday as normal as we'll be back to normal from Tuesday and everyone needing pack ups etc.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 27 December 2016 at 9:23AM
    Options
    Morning all.

It's calm outside, wind has gone and rain has dried up. The forecast is for sunny intervals today. Think I'll strip the bed, get the linen washed and out on the line. It won't dry properly but it'll get the outdoor smell.

I didn't tackle the tshirt drawer as planned. My day was hijacked by inertia. Once I set the stove I seem to want to just sit in front of it!

There's still plenty of food in the house to eat up, plus I did a beef casserole in the SC yesterday. The meat had got pushed to the back of the fridge and forgotten about when the venison arrived so it needed to be cooked up.

I had to rearrange the gin cupboard yesterday. The latest bottle had to be put away but the cupboard was in disarray. I've got nine different bottles of gin :eek:

1. Tanquerary
    2. Tanquerary 10
    3. The Botanist
    4. Sipsmith sloe
    5. Blackwood
    6. Old Raj
    7. Gordon's
    8. Edinburgh Navy Strength
    9. Lussa

Most are unopened I hasten to add! Think I'll do a tasting evening later on after New Year.

Funny how I distracted myself from the tshirt sorting by doing gin sorting, moving from a needed task to a completely uneccessary one. :rotfl:

I hope that everyone has a good Tuesday.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Just getting light here, like you Gers the wind has died down and it isn't raining at the moment, in fact the sky is pretty clear. Impressive gin shelf by the way!

I had a day of doing nothing yesterday, caught up on lots of TV and grazed on leftovers - pigs in blankets are just as good cold as hot!

Trying to sort paperwork this morning, all the new appliances need registering and the booklets filed away. The kitchen is a mass of piles of papers at the moment.

I may go to Glasgow today, I have things to take back to the big blue and yellow shed. I can call in on DD at work too.

Hope you all have a good day. Take care. XX
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread nmlc.
    All I can say Gers is Hic!
    DD2 is back to working 9 - 4 at one job and 5 - 10 at her 2nd job, her husband has time off as his company closes down from Christmas eve until the new year, we will have one of the grandchildren to make things a little easier,
    It's frosty here today so hopefully it will be dry.
    I'm feeding DS's cats again today and then they are home tomorrow.
    So for me it a bit of housework today and then crochet in front of the TV this evening.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone, thanks for the thread nmlc.
    Gers, that is a seriously impressive selection of Gin :)

Dry and clear here but much colder.

Good day with DSS's yesterday but I was disappointed with the beef, very sinewy and had to sort through rather just slice it, good job had done a lot of roasties, veg and two desserts so the hollow legged ones were at least satiated :)
    Seem to have woken up with a mouth full of ulcers, haven't had any of these for years so much so the bonjela in the drawer expired in Sep 13 :eek: slapped some on anyway!
    Off to DB's after breakfast to spend the day with Mum and to give those guys a break, it's not that she is hard to look after, far from it, it's just the constant worry? just wish I could do more but she is long past traveling over to ours. Have previously suggested a house swap etc even if it's just for one night and they get some downtime, will mention again.
    Have a good day everyone, take care folks x
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :santa2:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Miss tru came running down the stairs “Mum, I'm about to have a shower but I'm not washing my hair so I've got my shower cap on, thought you might like to see it before I go in the bathroom” then ran back upstairs. I think this is going to go on for quite a while, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I was mostly good yesterday – small bowl of cereal for breakfast, then I nibbled on fruit during the morning. Had a huge pile of salad on my plate at lunchtime. I felt I'd been so very good that I deserved a treat so I opened my chocolate orange and ate the whole thing :D It was fabulous :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Mr tru was grumpy, critical and sarcastic yesterday, I usually ignore it (I came to the conclusion ages ago that it's his problem, not mine) but it annoyed me so I described him to him – hope that makes sense! - and he disappeared upstairs for a couple of hours, sulking. I took the opportunity to watch The Santa Clause 3 in peace :D I'm glad he's working today.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    I've had a good tidy up, all the rubbish only half-filled a binliner, I'm quite impressed with that! Our council are starting to take corrugated cardboard mid-january so I've saved all the boxes, they're folded neatly inside another box and can stay in the shed til the new recycling bags arrive.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]There's some leftover mash from Christmas day, I'll mix in some grated cheese and onion, put it in a pie dish and freeze it for when we're eating normal food again. We're still very much in party food mode and no-one wants a hot meal yet :D[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'll whizz round with the hoover, swish the bathroom and do one load of washing. I want to be done by 11am so I can enjoy the rest of the day in peace. Alone. By myself. Bliss :D[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks for the start NMLC. It feels a bit nippy this morning but all is calm outside. Yesterday's winds have moved on.

We had a lovely afternoon at DD's yesterday for our second Christmas dinner but by late afternoon my bug symptoms had caught up with me again and I was wilting. We decided to head up home around 6ish before her evening revellers started to appear. I got into my dressing gown, slumped on the sofa and slept for three hours!! Mr TA woke me up to say he was going to bed and didn't want to just abandon me downstairs. So I joined him and slept till 5.00 this morning. This bug has really floored me and I can't seem to shake it off. I just start thinking I am feeling better and then it sweeps over me again.

Looking in the fridge this morning I can't believe how much is still left in there. I have the bones and leftovers of two turkey crowns simmering away to freeze for broths and what is left of the gammon and beef after today will be sliced and frozen too. As will slices of the large portion of pie that is still in there. The rest may get eaten today.

Today we are going to be lazy and catch up the programmes we never watched over Xmas and eat leftovers and chocolates!

Have a nice day all and (((HUGS))) to all the poorlies, anxious and sad. Take care whatever you are up to xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning all,

Nmlc thank you for starting the thread. I love this thread, it really normalises my life even when I find myself in unusual circumstances. It brings me back home, so to speak.

DH still sleeping, seems to be free of fever, thanks God. I am coughing so it might be me next, or it might be just a bit of cough and nothing more, with a bit of luck.

My mother also not feeling too well, I am so sorry that all we have done is bring chaos and disruption to her quiet life this year, with our illnesses. Nobody's fault, we could not predict illness in advance, but I am really sorry nevertheless.

Local doctor coming to visit the three of us later.

Plan for the day: more nursing DH, probably doing a bit of minor cooking (think:boiled pasta/rice with butter and Parmesan, wash shred and dress salad), rest and cross fingers hard that I don't get what DH had or we will be stuck in Sardinia for the duration. If my mother gets it, same thing, I am not leaving her alone in that state. Will wait and see what the doctor says later.

Have a good day.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm another who's lurgy seems to have re-animated itself, we had a lovely walk with our guests before they left but then I started to feel awful again. I'm going to have a quiet day before going over to DH's sister's tomorrow.

Lainey, I hope your mouth feels better soon, mouth ulcers are miserable.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have enjoyed reading along and hearing about your Christmas's. Ours was difficult at times - sadness just washing over me, and had to have a quiet moment to myself. We had my divorced parents from 23rd until yesterday. They get on okay but mum bickers with dad and he is deaf, so much huffing and puffing from both of them. Just exhausting at times. Took mum home yesterday and dad with us for another night. We are going to ramsgate tomorrow for the day, then he will stay with DSIs until he goes home on 2nd. Funeral is Friday and I'm dreading it. Need to sort out bright clothing for us all as DSis has specified this. Had to write a card for the flowers yesterday and it floored me, so much so that I broke down at inlaws house several times. Need to get a grip.
    Sorry for the gloom. We are staying in today to tidy up and get the fridge sorted. Lots of meat left which I will make into a pie I think.

Gers - impressive gin selection there. I went on a gin tour last year which was really interesting, but I lost the ability to swallow by gin number 10!
    Caterina/TA - get well wishes for you both xx
    Lainey - enjoy your day with mum xx

Hugs to all who need/want one.
    Coxy xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    edited 27 December 2016 at 12:08PM
    Options
    Morning all,

Nice bright but frosty day here I have a load of tea towels in the wm which will need hanging out on a while.

Going to have a tidy through this morning and put the house back to normal (we had to rearrange to squeeze 11 people in) I need to collect my car from my sisters as I had a drink and left it there last night.

Food wise we still have plenty I am lusting after a turkey sandwich which is one of my favourite things so I might have that today, I need to cut up the beef and Turkey and freeze what we wont use today, should get a few good meals from them, there is loads of cheese left crackers smoked salmon etc, so we wont go hungry, everyone can just help themselves today !

Will get evie out for a long walk today, and this afternoon do nothing at all !

Lainey do you have any pineapple or kiwi fruit ? both are excellent for mouth ulcers.

Have good days all xx

PS Gers I got a bottle of gin for Xmas, its Malfy lemon gin made in Italy and looks delish, Not tried it yet but I will report back !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure