We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Plumbing causing washing machine/clothes smell?

Options
2»

Comments

• MiserlyMartin
    Options
    Hi to googler, thanks for those diagrams. Late reply apologies. The first picture is actually what I did and the top of the pipe is now looped up touching the bottom of the draining board of the sink. I can't see that any sink waste should now backfill into the washing machine now. Its early days though because the affected clothes still smell so I've seperated the worst from the OK ones and am washing them seperately, will see how it goes.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you by any chance using liquid detergent in your washing machine? This can smell. Use powder instead (put it straight into the drum rather than the drawer).
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No doubt that the replumbing will help, but you may still get some smells if you do low temp washes only and have a stupid door seal design like our LG. Our washing machine starts to smell after a few weeks, 30 degree Celsius wash temp is just not hot enough to kill everything, and the design of our door seal means that water gets stuck & doesn't drain fully. We have to give it a good scrub every few weeks to stop it smelling.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport