My Wickes breakfast bar

Options
I purchase a Wickes kitchen. I hade my own carpenter to fit it; a guy who has a good reputation locally but he made a bit of a mess of the kitchen. He put some of the facias in between cupboards on as well as the ends where they are supposed to be. I managed to get some new facias off Wickes so I wasn't too bothered. The problem is with the breakfast bar where he decided to drill holes in the back to insert screws. There are brackets provided for the job of holding things together. I pointed this out to him and he said that he was going to put some kind of plastic caps to cover the srew heads. The problem I have now is that Wickes have discontinued this line of kitchen which was the Sicily. How to I sort this problem out? Should I penalize this guy? I haven't paid him for all the work he carried out as yet as he hasn't sent me the bill. I did get someone else to do other work around the house. I know it isn't a tragedy in the scheme of things but this guy as done a couple of mess ups. Later I'll post about the botch job he did on the sun tunnel which he installed. Here's an image of the breakfast bar.

109f887fd5.jpg

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    You are being unfair here. The screw cap has not been fitted, and could be one of a couple of types. When it has been fitted then one can judge if it is OK. My opinion would be there are far more serious matters in life to worry about.
  • Ader1
    Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Of course there are more serious matters in life. In the scheme of things this is nothing. But if I pay a few thousand for a kitchen I expect it to be installed properly. Brackets are supplied for the job. I have shown it to other crafts-people who say it's a cow-boy job. I'm not fussy at all. But that work is just plainly not up to par. My sister knows this guy (well I do too but not as well) and she said that he had a kitchen installed in his house worth upwards of £25,000 .I wonder how he would have accepted holes being drilled into the fascias he had payed for. I've never seen it done in any kitchen I've seen. Regarding more serious matters in life......you look at these forums and they're all basically 'first world problems'. I appreciate that. But I am also paying first world prices for people to do work in the house....so I expect at least a reasonable standard of work.
  • cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How come you have only have just had this installed? Wickes stopped selling Sicily 18 months ago.

It is a minor issue in the scheme of things and unless more work has been done since the photo was taken, he clearly has not finished yet.

Not the normal way to attach a clad on end panel though and I would be a bit irked by it too had it been left this way.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    You are being unfair here. The screw cap has not been fitted, and could be one of a couple of types. When it has been fitted then one can judge if it is OK. My opinion would be there are far more serious matters in life to worry about.

Looks more like a brass cup washer which, of course, has no cover.
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No proper kitchen fitter would leave screw heads or cover caps visible in any properly designed kitchen.

CK
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is shocking, even a competent DIYer would not have done that.

If you cannot replace the panel, you could remove the screws and get the http://www.plastic-surgeon.co.uk/ to fill the holes.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Mr.Generous
    Options
    I guess you could countersink the screw then cut a bit of worktop edge tape or some sort of colour matched laminate (you can peel a bit off if any offcuts available) then glue it over the head flush to the surface. A bit of a faff and it wouldn't be absolutely perfect, but if you get it right it will be very hard to spot.
  • Ader1
    Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be interested to see photos of
    I'll post about the botch job he did on the sun tunnel which he installed.
    I guess you will not be asking him to do any more work? <LOL>
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • GTE_Boy
    GTE_Boy Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    Should have been screwed from the other side.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure