Hissing stopcock

Options
I have noticed a hissing from our stopcock this morning. We have tried turning it off, but it is jammed tight. Have sprayed with WD40 to no avail.

I'm guessing the stopcock will need replacing - is this something we can do ourselves (novices when it comes to plumbing)? We can turn off the external stopcock (well, I'm assuming we can; we haven't tried it yet, though I can see the handle).

It looks like it would be tricky because of the other pipe and woodwork running along side....is it something best left to professionals? If so, how long and how much would be reasonable?

There was only a tiny bit of water on the outside, so I'm hoping it will be ok to wait until after Boxing Day.

20161226_120010.jpg
marlasinger

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You have a ball valve and a gate valve on the same piece of pipe - That suggests that the lower one was installed (it looks a little newer) because the upper one seized up a long while ago. It would be best to cut both out and fit a single stopcock.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • marlasinger
    marlasinger Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 December 2016 at 6:11PM
    Options
    Actually the ball valve (is that the same thing as a stopcock?) turned out to be a red herring. We removed more of the cladding to expose the pipework just below where the picture ends, and the large pipe on the right had 3 small holes and was spraying out water! :eek: We've put Plumbers Mait as a temporary solution, and it seems to be holding for now. And we've managed to turn the stopcock (needed a bit more elbow grease than I was giving it). So, solved for now, but will heed your advice and look at removing both valves and replacing with a single one.

Thanks for the reply. :beer:
    marlasinger

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Actually the ball valve (is that the same thing as a stopcock?) turned out to be a red herring.

A ball valve has a smaller hole in the middle than the equivalent size gate valve - Whilst they both perform the same function, the latter would be properly referred to as a stopcock. Ideally you will want to replace both with something like this - http://www.screwfix.com/p/stop-!!!!-22mm/51569 - Depending on the size of the pipe of course.

As for the other pipe - Is it lead ?
    If so, a repair is not going to be easy unless you have a heavy duty blowtorch.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    Turn the lower red handle to the right it's a 1/4 turn, leave the other one alone it prob won't turn anyway, that is a full flow valve which will give you more flow than a stop tap so leave it there
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • marlasinger
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    As for the other pipe - Is it lead ?
    If so, a repair is not going to be easy unless you have a heavy duty blowtorch.

Yes, I think it is lead. I know we have quite a bit of lead piping but sections have been replaced over the years. No heavy duty blowtorch here I'm afraid. :eek: Looks like one for a plumber. :(
    marlasinger

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    You can get special joints for lead to copper pipe.
    No need at all for a blowtorch...........
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/lead-to-copper-coupler-7lb-0-918-x-15mm/53125
    Make sure you know the size of your lead pipe as it goes by weight not pipe diameter.
    Google is your friend here along with Youtube..........
    HTH
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 December 2016 at 4:44PM
    Options
    Also, worth noting that regardless of whether or not you are using a ball valve or a gate valve, when you open the valve back up, close it a small amount as this will give you 'wiggle room' should you need to turn it off in the future and find it is stuck.

I would be concerned at just what the lead pipe is supplying water too. If it is feeding water to your cold water tank, or to any taps, get it ripped-out and replaced as soon as.
    Lead piping is no longer permitted to be used to pipe potable water an for good reason.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• marlasinger
    Options
    We are waiting for a plumber at the moment, as the pipe is still leaking, and it looks like there is another leak further along in the bathroom (unless it's water running from the original leak and dripping from the lowest point of the pipe). I will ask the plumber about the lead pipe....we think it's supplying the bath and toilet cistern, as it runs under a wall through to the bathroom, but there are a multitude of pipes (copper and PVC) under our bath.

We're hoping they can replace the section of piping as opposed to ripping the bath out or having to go through the wall. :(
    marlasinger

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport