Do I need an electrician or a new ceramic hob?

Options
Hello, I am not very technical so will try to explain as best I can. I have a ceramic hob and an electric oven (separate). They are both connected to the dedicated cooker point. The ceramic hob is 10 months old and the oven, maybe 2 years old. All was great until 2 weeks ago. When I turned on one of the rings high to bring a pan to the boil and it went off with a pop and the fuse switch on the main fuseboard went off and had to be reset. When the same ring was put on low it was heating as if on full though didn't blow. None of the other rings were effected to begin with. The oven was not effected and worked fine. A few days back I tried to put a different ring on and the whole thing went off with a loud pop and I saw sparks near one of the knobs to adjust the temp for the ring. My partner reset the fuse breaker switch and tried to put the oven on and the fuse breaker switched off again. Is the hob in need of the bin or is the problem to do with the wiring? I hope I am explaining myself well, if not ask me to clarify.

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmm
    Happy Boxing Day!

If the hob is only 10 months old, then surely, it is under warranty.

But, maybe a 'sparky' first would be best, especially if the oven is playing up too.
    Last year my M-i-L's oven kept tripping the circuit even when off ...

The element was faulty so was giving an earth fault ... new element fixed the issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure