How long until hard searches are removed from my report?

I've been studying my credit score quite a lot this year, I just find it interesting what information the banks and other financial institutions actually have on me.

Recently, I noticed a drastic drop in my score. I know the score means nothing, it's what's on the report that matters, but I've had a lot of searches lately and that's the issue.

I applied for a HSBC student account around March/April time and I was accepted, though I closed the account down a month or two later due to issues they caused.

Then in September, I applied for a Barclaycard. I submitted information before I realised I'd entered something wrong, so I applied again and was accepted, although they performed two hard searches, one for the error, and again for the correct one. I then started a new phone contract and O2 ran a hard search, so that includes four searches.

Finally, I decided to open another student account for the overdraft facility with Natwest. They performed a search but then rejected me. Since then, I've made no more applications for credit.

Although my score is low, meaning my report isn't exactly healthy right now. I'm wondering how long it will take to settle down? I would like to apply for a specific credit card around late Spring or early Summer next year for use abroad, the Halifax Clarity to be precise.
How long before these settle?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes we know you would like to apply for the Halifax Clarity card, apply before you go, say a month. You need to have patience.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Yes we know you would like to apply for the Halifax Clarity card, apply before you go, say a month. You need to have patience.

Yeah a month prior to travelling is what I was planning anyway
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 December 2016 at 1:08AM
    Dont make any more credit applications.
    Dont get into debt.
    Dont take out pay day loans.
    Dont spend more than what you earn.

As to how long hard searches stay on your report, might be 6 years.
  • Credit searches stay on your credit file for one year according to Equifax.

https://equifaxuk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/238/~/how-long-will-information-stay-on-my-credit-report%3F
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,115 Forumite
    Generally a year, but some CRAs may keep them for two. I think callcredit / noddle does.

Aren't you missing some searches there? Didn't you apply for Clarity already? The 80% might have been a soft search but the rejection would have been a full one.
  • Jlawson118
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    Generally a year, but some CRAs may keep them for two. I think callcredit / noddle does.

Aren't you missing some searches there? Didn't you apply for Clarity already? The 80% might have been a soft search but the rejection would have been a full one.

The thing is, I applied for the Clarity at the beginning of the year and was rejected, that never showed up on a hard search, and also the Avios that I was actually accepted for never went on a hard search either. The only hard searches I actually have are the ones I stated, a phone contract, two accounts with overdrafts and Barclaycard
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,115 Forumite
    Where are you looking? Different lenders report to different CRAs. Any full application will leave a footprint of some sort.[
  • Jlawson118
    edited 25 December 2016 at 8:33PM
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    Where are you looking? Different lenders report to different CRAs. Any full application will leave a footprint of some sort.[

I use Clearscore which I know run from Equifax, and in November I was also using another free trial of Equifax itself where it only showed those five..
    I do also use the free version of Experian too but that doesn't show as much information. I also use Noddle which does show my attempts earlier on in the year, but not as a hard search
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    The thing is, I applied for the Clarity at the beginning of the year and was rejected, that never showed up on a hard search, and also the Avios that I was actually accepted for never went on a hard search either. The only hard searches I actually have are the ones I stated, a phone contract, two accounts with overdrafts and Barclaycard

Again, have you tried appealing?

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • Jlawson118
    darkidoe wrote: »
    Again, have you tried appealing?

I didn't see that anybody had replied to this, but no I never did appeal. I'm assuming they are checking my credit history somehow though. I keep running various eligibility tests on different cards every so often and I find it hard to believe I'm 90% likely to be accepted for any AMEX card but 50% on just a simple Halifax card. That's based on my age, income etc all being entered the same.

I'm going to leave it until later on this year when I'm hoping my previous hard searches will have disappeared. I had too many in September that's affecting this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure