The gravy!!!!

First time Christmas dinner cooker here but thankfully it's just for 6 of us!

The area of the cook that I can't quite understand, nor find on the old internet is the construction of the gravy! I plan to put the turkey crown on a trivet of carrot and leek, and I understand I can put an inch of chicken stock or white wine in the bottom. If I opt for white wine which I plan to... can this be the beginnings of the gravy?

Do I simply let the wine cook down and infuse with the turkey juices and veg? Or do I need to add chicken stock?

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Slightly depends on volume, and how strongly flavoured and/or thick you want the gravy to be but the turkey & veg juices should be fine with a bit of cornflour.
    If you lack confidence, sort oxo & bisto now & have it in a jug under clingfilm Just in case like & you'll be delighted how good your real turkey gravy tastes!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Easiest way is to see what's in that stuff at the bottom when you've finished. Sieve it to separate the juices from the lumps of stuff.
    You can mash down some of the lumps of stuff if you wish, the nice bits, not the odd/stringy bits.
    Add gravy granules/stock pot of your choice.
    Lob it all into a saucepan, or stick the tray on the hob if that's what you usually would do.

Heat it up, poke it about and see how thick it is.... taste it to see if it's minging.

When it's the right thickness and tastes passable, it's then called gravy and you can serve it.

Anything else is just "posh chefs making out it's harder/you need more things in it" just so they can promote their latest book.
  • I would use whats left from the turkey juices (inc. wine),
    add a dash of water to the tray and put on a high heat on the hob to get all the bits and juices off the bottom (also helps to clean the tray)
    add these to any water from boiling or steaming veg,
    add any necessary boiling water,
    add a stock cube,
    add gravy granules until you achieve the right consistency.

Perfect.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • I'd sat the turkey above (bargain) red onion, carrots, parsnips, and clementine (peel also) then drained off some of the cooking juices, heated in small pan, added a little chicken stock, simmered to reduce then thickened with little cornflour in cold water. Was fab !
    Finally Debt Free (£8k to zero) yay! :j :j

Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day challenge #54 £18/366
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #49 (£6)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,970
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I can't make gravy. I've never been able to make gravy. I've now accepted that as a fact of life, and buy a tub of M&S 'posh turkey gravy'. Stops all that messing about with the sieve!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Christmas day gravy made with giblet stock fresh herbs (sage, rosemary and thyme) carrots, onions and leek.. add all the meat juices together in one roasting tin, heat up and sieve to remove lumpy bits and remains of bay leaves etc. Meat juices back into roasting tin, on the heat as it starts to bubble add some plain flour and stir in well. Then add giblet stock and water from veggies to get the right consistency I don't eat gravy myself but I can make it :)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Gravy is dead easy to make. Remove turkey/meat/veg etc from roasting tin and leave to rest. Spoon off any excess fat but leave some to thicken the gravy with a couple of tablespoons of flour. Cook out the flour over low heat (same as making a roux) then crush and add back any veg removed earlier. Add water from boiled/steamed veg and a stock pot/cube if necessary and simmer until nicely thickened. Season to taste.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,492
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    kids don't cook much but they have been making sunday roast gravy every week for years, don't change it for xmas: veg water, oxo cube, some granules and cornflour mixed in - then meat juices added. usually works OK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure