🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bay window - Change to Canopy (PP?)

Options
Hi,

I have a standard bay window with a flat roof.

If I was to put a sloped roof on this and extend it to over the door too (called a canopy I think) like on this picture, will it require planning permission?

Google seems to say no. But the house has had previous extensions, then it seems a grey area.

Thanks

http://www.mjhe.co.uk/uploads/6/1/2/4/6124448/6865470_orig.png

Comments

• phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not a permanent structure so I would say no. I have a smaller version over my door, fitted by British Gas as part of their external insulation programme and I required no planning permission or building control sign off.
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    Aside conservation area etc you will not normally require planning permission for something that does not create a livable space and is not classed as a permanent structure (it may require conformity to building control if it is over a certain size I believe its 30 sq meters but that may vary with local authorities ).

Above would be more "Original Dwelling" house as it was first built your extension could be a grey area [FONT=&quot]and as most local authorities are skint and an opportunity to make a buck I’d advise you contact yours to verify. [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport