🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

washing machine door seal help

Options
The retaining spring (?) has come off my washing machine door seal :(

I have watched you tube videos about how to get it back on and they just show people stretching it round, it doesn't work like that, I just can't get it to go back on :(

Any suggestions? Does anyone have an idea how much it would cost me to get someone in to do this? I suspect a lot but I can't see anyway how I can do it myself.

Can I use the machine without it, in the meantime as I need to get some washing done.

Thanks

Comments

• Ainsley1
    Ainsley1 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    I think the spring helps to seal and keep in position. Could sell leak without it. Plenty of hands and a bit of strength could well be the key.

Can you not get somebody to help you? Should really be simple.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Last two times I had to do this I needed another person. It was impossible to do alone.
    In theory it's simple but in actual real life you need to be really strong.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No unfortunately I don't have anyone to help me :( Especially if its not going to be a five minute job.

Looks like I might have to phone around for quotes, its a pain at this time year :mad:

I don't suppose using it to spin will hurt, that would help as I can hand wash and just put clothes in machine to finish them.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I managed it on mine but it was tricky. It's a bit tricky to describe too but I'll have a go.

Perhaps try putting it on at the bottom first, with the little spring bit at the top and the last bit to go on. Then, holding it in place, fit two stout spoon handles through the space between the loop and the seal, either side of the little spring - the end of each spoon handle resting on the rubber seal. Then lever both spoons up so as to lift the loop up and over the ridge on the seal. Start off with the spoon handles quite far from the little spring (say at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock), then as you lever up, gradually move them round and up towards the spring.

If you've ever put a bicycle tyre back on you'll know what I mean.

Failing that, it would take someone who knows what they're doing two minutes to do it.

I wonder why it came off? Rocking about a lot when spinning was it?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You can probably use the machine without it, just make sure the seal is sitting properly when you shut the door. Set it going & if it does leak just stop it & put it on a spin to empty it.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • poppellerant
    Options
    Please do not use the washing machine without the spring in place to secure the seal! :eek: It is there for a very good reason and that is because water and electricity do not mix with desirable results.

Find somebody who is strong enough to put the spring on and perhaps even show them a few Youtube tutorials to help them out. It really isn't to difficult, except that it just needs some strength.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please do not use the washing machine without the spring in place to secure the seal! :eek: It is there for a very good reason
    To stop you pulling the door seal off when you take the clothes out.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport