High Street TV

I bought an iron on September 25th delivered a few days later, unfortunately early last week it started leaking a lot of water while in use. I contacted the company who offered either a replacment or a partial [75%] refund.
As the product was under 3 months old i asked for a full refund which they declined , After a brief exchange on social media and getting nowhere i started an Amazon A-Z claim [thank god i bought via Amazon]
Amazon have upheld my claim and are refunding the full amaont.

High Street TV are possibly one of the most unpleasant companies i have ever dealt with.

Comments

• Thank you for the warning, I shall ensure that I do not use them and advise everyone I know to steer clear.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You had no right to insist on a full refund, although 75% may be a bit mean. Why wouldn't you just accept the replacement that was offered?
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    You had no right to insist on a full refund, although 75% may be a bit mean. Why wouldn't you just accept the replacement that was offered?

As it is within 6 months of purchase they are indeed entitled to a full refund.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »

After reading other review a leak seems to be a design fault why on earth would i want a replacment , how long do you think i should go without an iron ?The retailer offered EITHER a replacment or a refund i chose the latter.

I have every right to want a full refund as the item was under 6 months old , the only time a deduction can be made in the 1st 6 months is if the item is a car.

Accepting returns and giving refunds: the law

You must offer a full refund if an item is faulty, not as described or doesn’t do what it’s supposed to.

The first six months

If you discover the fault within the first six months from purchase, it is presumed to have been there since the time of purchase - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.
    During this time it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there at the point of purchase - it's not up to you to prove that it was.
    If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund or price reduction - if you wish to keep the product.
    No deduction can be made from a refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.
    The only exception to this rule is motor vehicles where a reasonable reduction may be made for the use you've already had of the vehicle after the first 30 days.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    From what you have quoted (my bolding):

"No deduction can be made from a refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement."

I see no sign that such an attempt to repair has been made, and you refused a replacement.
  • CHRISSYG wrote: »
    After reading other review a leak seems to be a design fault why on earth would i want a replacment , how long do you think i should go without an iron ?The retailer offered EITHER a replacment or a refund i chose the latter.

I have every right to want a full refund as the item was under 6 months old , the only time a deduction can be made in the 1st 6 months is if the item is a car

I've scraped by for the last 41 years!
    :cool::cool: lurker:cool::cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family