Contactless card fraud cases continue to surface following MSE investigation

in Credit Cards
12 replies 2.8K views
One woman had three cancelled contactless cards used by fraudsters while others have also reported being targeted...
Read the full story:
'Contactless card fraud cases continue to surface following MSE investigation'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum
«1

Replies

  • gavrcgavrc Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As the article says, the issues have been reported before, but why on earth did it cost her £75 to talk to the Lloyds fraud team on the phone? That's appalling. At worst that number should be local rate.

    gav
  • edited 20 December 2016 at 4:26PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    26.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016 at 4:26PM
    gavrc wrote: »
    As the article says, the issues have been reported before, but why on earth did it cost her £75 to talk to the Lloyds fraud team on the phone? That's appalling. At worst that number should be local rate.

    gav
    They have both a 01 and an 0345 number but if you have an expensive non inclusive phone package any calls are likely to cost you money. I know someone who does not want to commit to an anytime call package in case they don't use it. So far for the past couple of years they have never paid less than £20 a month in call charges.
  • GingerFurball_2GingerFurball_2 Forumite
    990 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    gavrc wrote: »
    As the article says, the issues have been reported before, but why on earth did it cost her £75 to talk to the Lloyds fraud team on the phone? That's appalling. At worst that number should be local rate.

    gav

    She was probably lying and inflating her call costs.
    DEBT FREE!

    Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • WestminsterWestminster Forumite
    997 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Savvy Shopper! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    In the same way that it doesn't 'really' cost a credit card company £12 in admin fees when you go over your limit, I would argue that she was within her rights (and Lloyds appeared to agree) that she could charge a flat 'fee' per call. Maybe something like £5-7 per call to cover not just the raw cost of the call but also a contribution towards her time which could no doubt be better spent doing something else.
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any way one could choose not to have their card contactless?
  • susanksusank Forumite
    804 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    I asked Bank of Scotland to replace my new card with non contactless and received it within a week no problems - I did not want to use it after reading so many bad things about it.
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    susank wrote: »
    I asked Bank of Scotland to replace my new card with non contactless and received it within a week no problems - I did not want to use it after reading so many bad things about it.

    Just rang the Halifax and they have deactivated the contactless bit until the new card arrives without the symbol.

    Thank you for the tip!
  • takmantakman
    3.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definetly think the future of contactless payments is on mobile phones. I use Android Pay and there is no payment limit, you can have all your bank cards stored on it and it can be remotely disabled instantly without even having to phone the bank.
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    takman wrote: »
    I definetly think the future of contactless payments is on mobile phones. I use Android Pay and there is no payment limit, you can have all your bank cards stored on it and it can be remotely disabled instantly without even having to phone the bank.

    In theory very good idea, but how do you disable the app if your phone is stolen, or you don't notice that it's gone. They could be taking money out at the next cashpoint within minutes, or do you have to enter a key?

    My purse was stolen with my cards in some time ago, luckily I realised within five minutes that it had gone, went into the bank which was just a minute or two up the road, and within that time an attempt had been made to withdraw money from an ATM at another bank 50 yards away.
  • 20aday20aday Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    LadyDee wrote: »
    In theory very good idea, but how do you disable the app if your phone is stolen, or you don't notice that it's gone. They could be taking money out at the next cashpoint within minutes, or do you have to enter a key?

    My purse was stolen with my cards in some time ago, luckily I realised within five minutes that it had gone, went into the bank which was just a minute or two up the road, and within that time an attempt had been made to withdraw money from an ATM at another bank 50 yards away.

    Barclays are trialling contactless withdrawals from ATMs (think it's sometime in 2017) but you still need the PIN to complete the transaction.

    At present Apple/Android Pay cannot be used to withdraw cash from the hole in the wall; you need your physical card still.

    One thing I like about Apple Pay over Android Pay is the fact EVERY transaction requires a registered fingerprint or for the thief to know what the phone's passcode is; whereas if the thief knows the passcode (£30 or less with Android Pay) and they unlock the phone they don't need a fingerprint to complete a purchase.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals