NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm
Please can anyone help me? I have recently been diagnosed with BPD - Borderline Personality Disorder and really want to get well I have been told that the MHT for my area no longer offer DBT to help with my condition. So I am finding that I need to research and find therapy books that can help me. I was wondering if anyone knew about any grants that may help me with the cost of books and maybe to go towards paying for DBT therapy. I feel so desperate and really want to do everything I can to improvemy life and this condition I have. Please can anyone help?

Replies

• There are other therapies that can help if they are on offer. I had CAT Therapy, congnative analytical therapy and it helped lots but the extended CBT helped me the most.
  • BogalotBogalot Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    I'm not aware of any grants but the following resources should be helpful.

http://psychology.tools/dbt.html

If they're saying DBT is not available, what are they offering as an alternative?
  • Please can anyone help me? I have recently been diagnosed with BPD - Borderline Personality Disorder and really want to get well I have been told that the MHT for my area no longer offer DBT to help with my condition. So I am finding that I need to research and find therapy books that can help me. I was wondering if anyone knew about any grants that may help me with the cost of books and maybe to go towards paying for DBT therapy. I feel so desperate and really want to do everything I can to improvemy life and this condition I have. Please can anyone help?

The desperation is the BPD. There's a dialectical workbook, its got a green cover, got mine from Wordly for under £20.

CAT and extended CBT as mentioned work wonders, and DBT isn't helpful for a lot of BPD patients (it has caused some serious problems, and is only useful in specific cases with specific markers, so don't put all your eggs in that basket).

I was diagnosed as BPD a long time ago, you can recover but it takes years and years of dedicated graft.

There aren't any grants for costs of books as such, you can usually claim PIP due to the severe and enduring nature of the diagnosis (I'm guessing you have had this for over a year, regardless of when diagnosis was finally made), which can help with extra costs such as these.

Why not try engaging with services that are provided for complex MH, they may not be the ones you are looking for but they might just work.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals