will i lose pip

hi i have a question, im currently getting esa in support group and pip, ive now got a reassesment coming , and i wonderd if i lose my esa will i also lose my pip, ive been awarded pip for 3 years starting last month. thank you

Replies

• They are two different benefits. ESA is a wage replacement benefit for those too ill to work. You can do a small amout of permitted work with appropriate permission and limited earnings.

PIP is to pay for the additional costs of disability, but you can work and receive PIP.

You can receive PIP but not ESA, so you shouldn't lose PIP.
  • thanks. surely though if ive been awarded pip there reconiseing i have a disability? . sorry about my spelling. not my strongist ability
  • tomtom256tomtom256 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    lauraxxx wrote: »
    thanks. surely though if ive been awarded pip there reconiseing i have a disability? . sorry about my spelling. not my strongist ability

Yes but some disabled people can and do work!
  • Lots of people with disabilities work. There are some retired folk near me who have been disabled for as long as I can remember, and they worked up to retirement age. One chap now works part time in retail, although he is in his seventies.

Although disability can prevent some people from working, it isn't the case for everyone. Some disabilities limit working to part time, or there may be spells when working isn't possible. Having a disability doesn't mean that you can't work, though. Each case has to be looked at individually.

My own son has Down's Syndrome, with several medical problems. He has physical disabilities as well as a learning disability. Chances are that he will only have limited capability to work, if he can work at all. So far, he wants to be a singer, a doctor, and Father Christmas. Realistically, he might be able to do simple jobs in a garden centre or cafe. I just hope that someone is willing to give him a chance when he is older.
  • No you won't lose PIP if the WCA finds you fit for work.

Some parts of your PIP application may have relevance to your ESA claim but you need to explain these links yourself on the ESA50.

Tom
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum