🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Girlfriend moving in

Options
My girlfriend is moving in with me next year, which will be absolutely lovely, because she's lovely! :)
However, being a realist, I want to know my rights.
We've agreed she pay me a nominal 'cover all' one off fee every month of £600.
I own my house.
Now, having had 2 long-term relationships I'm not going into this with my eyes wide shut! Should the worst happen, & I'm really hoping it does, what are my rights?
Someone has told me that after 2yrs she'd be entitled to everything! Can someone clear that up for me?
Cheers
D

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dannii75 wrote: »
    Someone has told me that after 2yrs she'd be entitled to everything!
    D

"Someone" is wrong. :)

By paying towards the mortgage, she could be building up a beneficial interest in the property although it would cost a lot to go to court to make a claim.

Some people compromise by having the partner pay half of all the bills (or a percentage, if there is a big difference in earnings) and then paying another amount into a savings account.

If the relationship breaks down, the partner will have the resources to leave immediately.

If the relationship continues, the savings can become joint money and used as needed.

Worth reading - http://www.advicenow.org.uk/living-together
  • AshleyBurf
    Options
    Indeed, Mojisola is right.

Good luck in living together! I hope it works out!
    Love is the answer :j
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't do it. First you'll loose your freedom, then she'll be going shoe shopping, then you'll end up doing all the cooking, then the chores. She'll have you chasing around like a headless chicken.

Seriously, have a great time but take note of #2.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Dannii75
    Options
    Wonderful, thank you Mojisola.
    I'm assuming marriage then take a whole other dimension to this? Just thinking of the future... ;) We're both long in the tooth but it's never too late hey!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Options
    Wonderful, thank you Mojisola.
    I'm assuming marriage then take a whole other dimension to this? Just thinking of the future... ;) We're both long in the tooth but it's never too late hey!

Even after a marriage, 50% shared ownership isn't a given.

After a short marriage (anything between two and five years - although 'living together' years prior to the marriage can be included), a judge can decide that both partners should come out of the marriage with what they took into it.

Because living together doesn't give any inheritance rights to partners, it's worth making wills.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What is "cover all" ?
    I suppose share of bills - plus what ?
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Options
    Should the worst happen, & I'm really hoping it does,

Freudian slip?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories