Email from Barclays

Options
I received an email from email.correspondence@assure.barclays.com about some changes to terms and conditions next april, is it genuine?
In the email there is a section about communication choices and there are 3 options to click on, It reads, Please confirm your letter preference by simply clicking the
relevant button below by 31 January 2017 ONLINE EMAIL POST
Has any other Barclays customers received this? Is it a genuine email? In the email title it does have the last 4 digits of my account number, I'm just not sure if i should click on what option i want or not

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NEVER click a link in an email unless you are certain who sent it.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Money_maker
    Options
    Is it addressed to you by full name? In any event, never click links on emails purporting to be from you bank/building society/financial institution. Simply open a new tab and connect directly to your bank. If they need your answer on something then it will show on your internet banking.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • lacuna1
    Options
    It has my surname in the email but not first name. It looks genuine as they send me emails from time to time but never with a link and as you said i should be wary of clicking on a link. Believe it or not despite signing up for online banking ages ago i haven't actually used it. Maybe its time to give it a go
  • OneLeggedPig
    Options
    Yep, go to the website yourself, don't follow links for these things.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    from the Barclays website:

If you've received a suspicious email that claims to be from us, please forward it to [EMAIL="internetsecurity@barclays.co.uk"]internetsecurity@barclays.co.uk[/EMAIL] and then delete it immediately.

I would do that and add in the strongest possible words that if it IS them then they should be ashamed of sending emails with clickable links.
  • lacuna1
    lacuna1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    mt99 wrote: »
    from the Barclays website:

If you've received a suspicious email that claims to be from us, please forward it to [EMAIL="internetsecurity@barclays.co.uk"]internetsecurity@barclays.co.uk[/EMAIL] and then delete it immediately.

I would do that and add in the strongest possible words that if it IS them then they should be ashamed of sending emails with clickable links.

I have sent an email to [EMAIL="internetsecurity@barclays.co.uk"]internetsecurity@barclays.co.uk[/EMAIL] and also to wr@barclays.com but they haven't replied back as yet. If it is genuine then surely other Barclays customers have received it
  • durhamviper
    Options
    It is a genuine email from Barclays, although it does appear 'dodgy' by asking the recipient to click links. If you log on to the online site you can find the message by checking your online messages and you can also set the communication preferences there as well.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The banks should be educating their customers on the risks of clicking links in emails, not encouraging them to click on such links.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We don't bank with Barclays - but if we did this e-mail would have gone straight into the trash bin.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    This is why I always set my preferences in internet banking not to receive correspondence by email.
    I don't care if it destroys the planet but if they want to advice me of changes to the terms and conditions then they can send them by post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure