Advice about Halifax Credit Card

I have just taken out a "Halifax credit card" with 25 months at 0% with no balance transfer fee. Also it includes 4 months 0% interest on all purchases.

For the first 3 months I am hoping to pay minimum monthly charge on the purchases and balance transfer amount. Then in month 4 pay the full outstanding amount for all the purchases and minimum amount on the balance transfers.

From month 5 just pay minimum required amount on the balance transfer. Also not make purchases using this card.

Will this work?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    msabf3 wrote: »
    Will this work?
    Is the underlying question "will this mean I can avoid paying interest on the purchases?"

As a rule, you shouldn't mix purchases with BTs on the same card unless the durations are identical, but condition B7.4 of your T&Cs seems to suggest the answer to the underlying question is yes.

But wouldn't you be paying it off too early?...their website says 0% for 6 months on purchases, not 4 months.
  • Thanks you for your comments. Having checked my details it is 6 months 0% on all purchases. I will pay full amount on all items purchases after month 5 using bank transfer to avoid any interest charges and keep the direct payment setup as minimum amount.

Halifax will not cancel my card if I do not make any more purchases ?

I will pay minimum amount on the balance transfer just before 0% offer ends.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    msabf3 wrote: »
    Halifax will not cancel my card if I do not make any more purchases ?

no they won't - you will have a large balance with them.
    I have several cards where I have just done a balance transfer or money transfer and never made a single purchase (because you don't mix purchases and transfers as mentioned above)
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure