Loft insulation and electrics - danger?

Options
2»

Comments

• TimBuckTeeth
    Options
    globalds wrote: »
    My loft was the same (ripped off insulation over bathroom ...I built small wooden blockout sections then insulated around ,,,The loft caps sound perfect ..if you replace with LED does this change the requirements ..

If you use LED bulbs in the exisiting holders, then although they produce next to no heat and could be safely covered, it is not a good idea as I doubt it would comply with regulations as there is the danger that someone could fit a halogen bulb at a later date.

If they are just open holders then it would be a good idea to replace them with enclosed fire rated ones, eg :
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lighting_Downlights_Index/Fire_Rated_Downlights_Gu/index.html
    Although I don't think these can be covered either as the metal casing gets hot.

If you replace the existing lamp holders with sealed non-replaceable LED light fittings then they would be safe to cover, although I don't know what the regulations are.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aren't these a fire risk?
    Sound dangerous to me.
    I have an irrational fear of things catching fire ... and now you've enabled me to add a new fear to my list
    :(
  • Elphaba2007
    Options
    Thank you everyone, your comments were really helpful. I'm going to investigate getting some of these loft caps. I don't want to rot my rafters!

So will these caps not only allow me to replace the insulation, but also to not worry about damp getting into the loft? Or should I be investiating better loft ventilation (I don't think our loft ventilation is that great anyway).
  • wishingmoon
    Options
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Security_Menu_Index/Fire_and_Smoke/Fire_Cover_Downlight/index.html

Found this whilst searching myself for downlighters in loft above bathroom... :o

downlighter covers for in your loft for under or around the insulation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport