Forum Home» Green & Ethical MoneySaving

On-grid domestic battery storage - Page 188

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

On-grid domestic battery storage

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
1.9K replies 202.3K views
1182183184185186188»

Replies

• joefizzjoefizz Forumite
    670 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭

You know that I've had batteries for a while now, so surely you know.... that I know... how a battery inverter works based on loads, but you explain it anyway, this perplexes me.

Because Im not explaining it for you. Im making the same point I make in a lot of my posts that when people make assumptions based on their own experiences there are lots of scenarios out there that prove the opposite. Yours is obviously one, mine another. We make our purchase decisions based on a lot of things and its only when we tie things together that anomalies and 'features' come to light. So my theories are about my equipment and if I test my theory then its no longer a theory. That never implies it applies to anyone else but is something that may occur that we all wouldnt necessarily have considered at initial purchase.

You have to remember this is not just a discussion between two people but for all the lurkers and people who only reply via PM that its also an information resource. By explaining what I know we both already know it helps to explain it to others who may not know or who may just see price point as the only selection method.
    So for example my hob is a zanussi one with hobs running from 2.7kw to 3.7kw and almost 5 years old now, so is going to be different from yours.

Regarding the three stage charging, its common across chargers but thats not really what interests me, its the discharge rather than the charging that we have been talking about.
  • Exiled_TykeExiled_Tyke Forumite
    483 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Should I be force charging my (Solax) battery? 
    With the gloomy days recently the batter is very rarely getting above 20% full. (That may change this week mind).  I've noticed that the BMS is occasionally 'deciding' to add a bit more juice by charging up to around 15% overnight.  Would it benefit the battery if topped it up for a longer charge? 

I am hoping to move across to Octopus Agile in time. In which case I plan to force charge in the very early morning and early afternoon.  However right now I'm on a fixed term tariff with exit fees and don't yet have a smart meter so it isn't really worthwhile.  

Your thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks 
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kW battery
  • edited 4 November at 10:35AM
    chamelionchamelion Forumite
    368 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 4 November at 10:35AM
    With the gloomy days recently the batter is very rarely getting above 20% full. (That may change this week mind).  I've noticed that the BMS is occasionally 'deciding' to add a bit more juice by charging up to around 15% overnight.  Would it benefit the battery if topped it up for a longer charge? 

I am hoping to move across to Octopus Agile in time. In which case I plan to force charge in the very early morning and early afternoon.  However right now I'm on a fixed term tariff with exit fees and don't yet have a smart meter so it isn't really worthwhile.  

I'm using the 'octolux' script to charge up my batteries to 100% overnight using cheap energy. We're now at a stage in winter that my max generation for solar doesn't cover the baseline for the house, so instead what I do is trickle the battery input to the house based on agile electricity prices. i.e. if it's 10p, I contribute 10%, if it's 15p, I contribute 15%, during peaks I contribute 100% from the battery etc etc.

Ultimately it means that despite agile tariffs being quite expensive last few months (albeit, big declines last few days) I'm paying less than half as I'm relying on battery power to supplement expensive daytime / peak grid energy. 

I have a very high baseline in my house, so with the contributions above I do have a depleted battery by end of day, ready for another round of topping up with cheap(er) overnight energy. 
    5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
    Lux + 3 x 2.4kWh battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.
  • EVandPVEVandPV Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

From a battery health point of view, you don't want it sitting at only 20% for long periods. I'd top it up from the grid to around 50% and perhaps set the minimum discharge level to around 40% while you're not getting enough pv to fully charge and don't have a cheap rate leccy tariff.
    Scott in Fife, 3kwp pv SSW facing, Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012
    7.2kwh Pylontech battery storage with Lux ac inverter
    Raspberry Pi immersion controller
    Raspberry Pi Lux charge controller
    Renault Zoe 40kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
    670 posts
    ✭✭

In addition to the previous posts, check your warranty. Some specify that they cover only one charging cycle per day (usually solar). So worth checking that out and weighing it up. To be fair though, if Id charged from the mains this weekend it would only be one charging cycle per day!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    670 posts
    ✭✭
    joefizz said:

In addition to the previous posts, check your warranty. Some specify that they cover only one charging cycle per day (usually solar). So worth checking that out and weighing it up. To be fair though, if Id charged from the mains this weekend it would only be one charging cycle per day!

Bad form to reply to your own post but...
    I forgot to mention that if your warranty does exclude more than one charging cycle per day it would be worthwhile topping up during your daily charge cycle (although that would get round the cheap at night stuff) or only charging from the mains and disconnecting the solar aspect during low output seasonality.

• Exiled_TykeExiled_Tyke Forumite
    483 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    joefizz said:
    joefizz said:

Bad form to reply to your own post but...
    I forgot to mention that if your warranty does exclude more than one charging cycle per day it would be worthwhile topping up during your daily charge cycle (although that would get round the cheap at night stuff) or only charging from the mains and disconnecting the solar aspect during low output seasonality.

Thanks. Solar at this time of year is not an issue - it all get's used as it comes in! 
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kW battery