Buying Franked postage and paying for it online

Options
I run a small craft stall, a hobby really, at craft fairs. At a craft fair several weeks ago, I ran out of an item I make myself. Several people have since emailed me to say they would like to buy direct, in time for Christmas. I have time to make them but was wondering about posting.

In particular I was wondering about the advantages of buying franked postage online from the Royal Mail. (The items are lightweight, without packaging one weighs around 90g. However one customer wants to order half a dozen.) How does it work and how much does it cost compared to regular post using stamps? Would it be easier to send as a large letter?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My understanding is that you save nothing by buying this way, and you have to get it in the post on the 'right' date.

The Royal Mail website does let you work out how much it costs to post things: there's a weight and size limit on large letters, so you have to take that into account - you might find that putting 6 into one envelope pushes you into Small Parcel territory.

If you can easily get to a Post Office at a time when it's not heaving then it would be worth taking in a sample package and finding out what 'works'. For example, that 90g package may weigh more than 100g if you use one sort of envelope, and less if you use a different sort. The savings would be considerable.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Unless we're taking real volume (regularly tens of packages a day), I doubt you'll save anything except maybe a little convenience.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2016 at 10:26PM
    Options
    I got talked into as month's free trial with Pitney Bowes some time back which I cancelled at the end of the month. Although the postage rates were cheaper, there were lots of additional fees and expenses and I still had to go to a PO every day with the franked post.

As paddy said, you need to be sending large daily volumes before it possibly becomes worthwhile.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    I got talked into as month's free trial with Pitney Bowes some time back which I cancelled at the end of the month. Although the postage rates were cheaper, the were lots of additional fees and expenses and I still had to go to a PO every day with the franked post.

As paddy said, you need to be sending large daily volumes before it possibly becomes worthwhile.
    I think the OP is talking about the system where you print and pay for your own postage online. But I agree with you about the minimal savings from a proper franking machine.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I think the OP is talking about the system where you print and pay for your own postage online. But I agree with you about the minimal savings from a proper franking machine.
    Yes Sue, re-reading it I think you're right.

I use RM online occasionally but it's quite time consuming filling in the details and you obviously have to provide ink and paper. It does produce a very professional label though.

On a small parcel 1st class it's £3.30 compared to £3.35 over the counter so the savings are minimal and if you want a certificate of posting or have bought a service like Special Delivery you still need to go to the PO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure