Conversation in a WAV

We use a WAV (wheelchair access vehicle)

Because when I am sat in my wheelchair in the back, it is, if you can imagine like sitting in the back of a van with all the road noise etc. I fine it very difficult to hear what anyone in the car is saying to me and vice versa.

I asked a similar question some months back but cant find it, sorry.

Replies

• CyclamenCyclamen Forumite
    590 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I found this but had a renault kangoo basic model so assumed it was due to that.

Ideas and i have no clue if they will help..

1) carpetting the back and sides away from where the chair goes.. if its scotchguarded it might help?

2) motorbike intercom system.. my folks had these years ago a headset that went in the crash helmet so they could talk to each other? I'm not suggesting the crash hat but maybe something would adapt?

3) Perhaps someone like REMAP could create something for you.. they are a charity that takes on engineering problems for disabled and make products to solve the issue.. i've seen some of their work and they are amazing.

I will ask around and if i find any solutions come back to you..its hard enough hearing the conversation from the back seat in a standard lay out a WAV just adds to the difficulty
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sleepy14 wrote: »
    I asked a similar question some months back but cant find it, sorry.
    I remember, because I made some suggestions!

Original thread is here.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • w06w06 Forumite
    917 Posts
    You need to better insulate the van. Sound proof matting or even just carpet will change the acoustics for the better - think an empty unfurnished house compared to one with carpets and furniture.

You could have a bidirectional mic and speaker set up too, worth imprving the soundproofing first though
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    w06 wrote: »
    You need to better insulate the van. Sound proof matting or even just carpet will change the acoustics for the better - think an empty unfurnished house compared to one with carpets and furniture.

The other half of our semi is being refurbished and the builders have removed all carpets and curtains. Even just walking about they sound noisy and voices sound as though they are shouting, so insulation does make a big difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals