House of Fraser fined for misleading customers last Christmas

New Post Advanced Search

House of Fraser fined for misleading customers last Christmas

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
6 replies 1.2K views
MSE_LucindaMSE_Lucinda Former MSE
46 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
House of Fraser has been fined £40,000 for misleading Christmas shoppers last year into believing they were getting a bigger bargain on sale items than they actually were...
Read the full story:
'House of Fraser fined for misleading customers last Christmas'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean just about every other high street outlet is now going to be investigated and fined? They ALL do this.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the the famous 50% in very large letters, and it very tiny letters up to? They all do it.
  • POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    Is the the famous 50% in very large letters, and it very tiny letters up to? They all do it.

No it would seem they were showing a discount on a price that was never actually charged rather than the price it had actually been up for sale for.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not how I read it ... I read it as that they had charged that price previously, but had been charging lower prices more recently yet hadn't indicated THOSE prices.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • BogalotBogalot Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    DoaM wrote: »
    That's not how I read it ... I read it as that they had charged that price previously, but had been charging lower prices more recently yet hadn't indicated THOSE prices.

This is the one. They were showing RRP and the "sale" price, but failed to state they had previously sold the item at prices in between the two (as well as the RRP).
  • takmantakman
    3.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's why you should always buy items based on if you think the item is worth the price being charged (based on experience and research). Buying an item just because it had a certain percentage of discount is just ridiculous!.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support