New Roundabout Trend

Options
Just wondering if anyone else has observed a new trend which seems to be emerging. I've been driving for over 20 years but have only recently had experience of this.

On my 15 minute journey home from work I pass over two large roundabouts with 60MPH speed limits. It's likely at both roundabouts that users will encounter a short queue of 1 or 2 cars.

On pretty much every occasion, someone will decide that they can't possibly wait in the 1 or 2 car queue on the left and will use the right hand lane to turn left around the roundabout whilst indicating left.

I'm quite frustrated with how impatient people are becoming these days. There never seem to be any police around and there are so many people who are just outright rude, incompetent or dangerous.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you google streetview these roundabouts?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    I find the opposite problem........
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4925904,-1.8896003,3a,78.8y,63.17h,72.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9_RmYHSus7zpl2Rof07QQQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

People using lane 1 here to go straight over, when lane 1 is left only and lane 2 is left/straight.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I find the opposite problem........
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4925904,-1.8896003,3a,78.8y,63.17h,72.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9_RmYHSus7zpl2Rof07QQQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

People using lane 1 here to go straight over, when lane 1 is left only and lane 2 is left/straight.

This happened me to, lucky for my quick reflex in braking, I need a dashcam.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2016 at 9:06AM
    Options
    These are not new incidents. I was involved in a small scrape caused by someone doing what the opp. said about 20 years ago, It was on the second roundabout as you come off the M25, using the A 243, to go onto the A24. Leaving the roundabout, if you want to stay on the A24 you have to be in the right hand lane as the left one is left turn only and locals who want to queue jump try to cut in as you leave the roundabout.
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    For motorists, slowing down or stopping is a dying art. Small, single lane roundabouts close to me are treated as double or triple lane despite there only being room for one car to drive around the roundabout and single lane exits so two cars pull away and both have to stop to decide who goes first. Regular minor accidents. Indicating is optional and often wrong.

Recently I've noticed an increase in cars whos lane is blocked by a parked car or similar choose not to stop but to use the opposite lane forcing the oncoming traffic to stop.

Useless drivers. Ban them. Bring back the birch :D
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ---lee--- wrote: »
    On pretty much every occasion, someone will decide that they can't possibly wait in the 1 or 2 car queue on the left and will use the right hand lane to turn left around the roundabout whilst indicating left.
    Do you mean they overtake and cut in - or they go 450 degrees around the roundabout passing the point they entered from? If they do the latter, indicating right and then left to leave - it isn't wrong - but unnecessary if there's only a small queue to enter.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Recently I've noticed an increase in cars whos lane is blocked by a parked car or similar choose not to stop but to use the opposite lane forcing the oncoming traffic to stop.
    I'd say this has been a common London phenomenon for decades... relying on confidence to bully their way through. Or particularly when the first car has room to get through and the rest just follow on blindly....
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    More annoying is the habit of treating a roundabout as if it didn't exist and driving straight across, cutting into the second lane instead of properly going around to the left in lane one, seen a lot of close calls where drivers in lane two have a vehicle half into their lane because the other lane is too much effort to stick in
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's the non-indicating when they want to turn right and then exiting that annoys me.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2016 at 11:30AM
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    More annoying is the habit of treating a roundabout as if it didn't exist and driving straight across, cutting into the second lane instead of properly going around to the left in lane one, seen a lot of close calls where drivers in lane two have a vehicle half into their lane because the other lane is too much effort to stick in

I've been forced onto the kerb of a roundabout by this behaviour on several occasions. The problem is not that people do it, the problem is they don't check for cars around them when they do.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsOtQT1rDU

Oh and the other thing, when people use their RH indicator to go straight ahead from lane 1.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure