MoneySaving Poll: Would you bend down to pick up a penny?

Comments

• brooza
    brooza Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Brorabongo wrote: »
    Find a Penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck.
    This is why I'm more likely to pick up a 1p coin than a 2p coin!

I actually picked one up yesterday due to this stupid superstition!
  • GingerBob wrote: »
    Interesting point about returning money ... what the thinking on this scenario: you find a wallet in the street with £500 cash in it. How do you go about returning it to the owner?

Sorry - off topic slightly.

Lost property at police stations or if you're in a shop, hand it in. I'd also look in the wallet to see if the person had any cards in there, I'd hand it in to their bank - that's a better way of doing it as banks have honest staff, whereas in a shop the person might help themselves!
    I've always handed money in, feel better for doing that than keeping it.
  • I am gobsmacked at how dishonest the people answering this are!

If I find money in our local park, I leave it on the fence where children play - at least they can spend it on something they may want or need or sweets.

The fence is high up - so little ones can't reach, who might swallow it!! Yep, I've even thought about that!

I once handed in £5 at college which I'd found in the ladies powder room, the staff were amazed at my honesty.
    Two weeks later I was handed an envelope in class, by a lecturer. It was the £5 with a note saying no one had collected it. I was happy to spend it then as I felt I'd given the person a chance in case they were desperate.
  • Any items found should be handed to the police, if it isn't claimed after a specific time then I believe you can claim it.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Lost property at police stations or if you're in a shop, hand it in. I'd also look in the wallet to see if the person had any cards in there, I'd hand it in to their bank - that's a better way of doing it as banks have honest staff, whereas in a shop the person might help themselves!
    I've always handed money in, feel better for doing that than keeping it.

Yes, you would think so, but I would advise against it after learning of the experience of a former colleague who did so. She was detained at the police station (can't remember if she said she was arrested) because the owner of the purse claimed that some money was missing from it. It was a humiliating experience for her. To cut a long story short, it was a scam, and it came to light that the purse owner had tried it on before, somewhere else in the country.

So try and return such items yourself, direct to the owner if they can be identified (do it anonymously, maybe). If you have to hand it in to the police, send it anonymously with the details of where found etc.
  • I always pick up coins because they can end up in landfill. I also squash aluminium drink cans & put them in recycling bins. Aren't I good, ha ha. Wish they would introduce the money-back scheme on drinks cans here like they have in the US. Reckon that would help some of the litter problem pretty fast! Aluminium is very energy-intensive to produce so do your teeth, stomach, wallet and the environment a favour - drink fewer fizzy drinks, or none at all. Cheers everyone, & happy Christmas.
  • Although I don't bend as easily as I used to, I still could not ignore money on the street, in deference to those who live in poverty. I hope I never can treat money with indifference and contempt, however small the amount. I feel there is something obscene about anyone feeling rich enough to walk over money, when others are suffering and dying for lack of it. I hope those who think that way realize how incredibly lucky they are, and respond appropriately generously to aid those who are less fortunate.
  • TGH
    TGH Posts: 52 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You'd be lucky to find a Police Station open these days to hand anything in!!!!!

The one up the road from me has closed, as has the one 8 miles away! The next closest you have to make an appointment to meet a policeman there as it is only manned by civilians.
  • I was about to add that it was also lucky to pick up pennies
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    k-k-k-katy wrote: »
    Although I don't bend as easily as I used to, I still could not ignore money on the street, in deference to those who live in poverty. I hope I never can treat money with indifference and contempt, however small the amount. I feel there is something obscene about anyone feeling rich enough to walk over money, when others are suffering and dying for lack of it. I hope those who think that way realize how incredibly lucky they are, and respond appropriately generously to aid those who are less fortunate.

I completely disagree with what you are saying. You need to remember that money you find on the street is someone else's money. If you pick it up and keep it you are taking money from someone else, which could even be considered theft. So I don't see how taking money from someone else could be considered the morally right thing to do?.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure