Defaults & mortgage?

I currently have 4 partially settled/settled defaults, these occured because of my marriage breaking down. I sold my house & payed them off but they obviously are still showing on my credit file. I'm currently renting as I don't think I can get a mortgage again at the minute. I've been told that most mortgage lenders will consider you if the defaults are over 2 years old? Is it worth me putting a notice on my credit file explaining the reason they occurred?

Comments

• Best to try the mortgages boards.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can try the mortgage boards and you may also want to try an independent mortgage broker before making any applications to the bank. There is a big emphasis on affordability as well as credit ratings. And whilst the older the information is on your credit file the less impact it should have, it may not be sufficient to secure a mortgage.

Please be aware that numerous failed credit searches on your file can also affect you getting future credit.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure